The Edge of Fall

KreativeK

The Edge of Fall.jpg

8×8 mixed media on Canson 140 lb cold press paper done today as it is the first of November and we usually have scenes such as this. I used Gansai Tambi paints along with other watercolors to put in the trees, background, and foreground. No pencil sketch for the trees. While wet I added white gouache then grey Brusho watercolor crystals. Snowy foreground and shadows are mostly dilute grey Brusho. Sky is American Journey periwinkle blue. Some Brusho was left in the sky and now it appears to be birds flying in the distance. Splattering added at random using Naples yellow and AJ Halloween orange.
C&C welcome!

Fantastic scene, Kay - what a process you described! Did you have an idea of the scene before you started working? Or did it take shape as you worked?

Either way, this turned out beautifully. Love those bits of orange! Very fall-like.

I love this scene! Especially all that colour in the trees. And with those splashes of orange it definitely has an autumnal feel to it.

The wet in wet is creating a lovely fresh autumnal feeling. Like the granulation/spots from the crystals.

I love this abstraction with so many vague details! Everything contributes to the whole impression.
I did never really master wet in wet techniques, perhaps due to the paper. Thank you for all these technical explanations. I learn from your artworks.
:)

Thanks everyone!
Just started with trees in mind and the seasonal changes. I’d not used gouache and Brusho together but with enough water anything can happen.

It must be a gift to paint so loosely and let the paints do their thing. I love the area where the trees and their trunks flow together. So beautiful!

Back