Beginnings

Arty, thanks. I think you're right about the boards. I think they're a bit too low on the house. I'll raise them a bit, and Lower the roof line.

Here it is close to the end of September and I'm finally posting again. This is another Start, a Study, ~8.5 x 11.5, watercolor on cold press paper. Crits and comments, please esp re the perspective including of the roof, size of male figures, and anything else you see that could use a bit of adjustment. What works, what doesn't? Thanks!
The house is one story, a patio roof is being added across the back. I will possibly do this in oils, size ~6 x 9".
Is the house roof too high? Is the bottom of the patio roof, where it meets the house, too low? Is the man on the roof too big?
The blue construction lines were done with old watercolor pencils. They didn't dissolve as I thought they would...

View attachment 34713
Does this help?

Attachments

• IMG_6503.jpeg
    IMG_6503.jpeg
    143.3 KB · Views: 18
Scamall, many thanks! Yes, the roof does need an overhang--I saw that as soon as I posted!
It has one now, and the facia is turquoise. I'm just learning a bit about watercolor, so many shadows are not there at all, or need adjustment.
I didn't see the "too long" arms, I was focused on his back and shoulders. :eek:
Yes, the pencil is showing, it is watercolor, I expected it to dissolve, but it didn't.
And thanks for commenting on the joists. I will have to do some thinking on that: not only did I neglect their width, but again, shadows in the recesses.
I hope to make use of all your comments.

Scamall, many thanks! Yes, the roof does need an overhang--I saw that as soon as I posted!
It has one now, and the facia is turquoise. I'm just learning a bit about watercolor, so many shadows are not there at all, or need adjustment.
I didn't see the "too long" arms, I was focused on his back and shoulders. :eek:
Yes, the pencil is showing, it is watercolor, I expected it to dissolve, but it didn't.
And thanks for commenting on the joists. I will have to do some thinking on that: not only did I neglect their width, but again, shadows in the recesses.
I hope to make use of all your comments.
I’m hesitant to comment to such a degree so I’m relieved that it was helpful. 😁

Your comments are a big help, I'm grateful! They will help me make the next one better.
(Obviously) I don't see all the areas that need adjusted, it really helps me to have other eyes on it to make suggestions.
And I appreciate your comments on the better areas: the stance of the men, the crushed granite ground cover, the foliage.

Back