Beginnings

ntl

Contributing Member
I'm back to drawing and painting a bit, basically doing studies for now, Works in Progress, all.
I SAW A HORNY TOAD! These 4 are watercolor, 2 on 90 lb paper, 2 on 140 lb. They're listed chronologically. The third one grew a red spot somehow, and it grew bigger and just wouldn't go away. :oops: Crits on all are welcome, ways to improve the final one especially would be appreciated. I'm not sure I like the landscape orientation for this even now.

thumbnail_IMG_6910.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6911.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6912.jpg

Crits and comments welcome. Thanks for looking! :)

Wonderful set of studies, ntl! They tell a progressive story. Nice!

I see that red spot in the 3rd one, it looks like the shirt color sneaked in behind your back. ;)

The landscape orientation of the last one seems fine to me. You have a nice diagonal line, actually 2 of them which lead the eye into the background. Very effective.

Keep up the good work! 👍

Thanks for sharing this progress. I like them all! Maybe the dark spot can be turned into another person!

Terri, thanks!
As to the red spot, of course you're right, Thing is, I thought my brush was clean...

I hadn't thought about the two diagonals, I think I was getting tired. The brush wouldn't be so straight.

I forgot to post the size: they're 4.5 x 6". These are all alla prima, with no previous drawing until the last one, where I used a light color to put the dog in then added the harness and the black coat.

Jo, thanks! I'm not that capable yet. I thought of covering it with gouache, but didn't. I did wish it were oil paint, then I'd know how to get rid of it, lol!

Kay thanks. The first is actually my favorite, too. I was going for loose, and feel I succeeded in it. I felt the composition could be better if the figures were facing to the right. I think too, the landscape orientation caused me to tighten up. I want to remember these are studies, too. They may not be any more than that. or they may turn into an oil painting.

Good job. It's difficult working that small. I might suggest using hot press paper for these small works. The smoother surface would be easier to work on. Maybe more darks in the line of shrubs. Good stuff. A horny toad!! Don't have them around here. :)

CaliAnn, thanks! I'm glad you like them!

John, thank you, too. Your suggestions of hot press paper and more darks in the shrubs are good. Next Blick order will include some hot press WC paper. Seems the stores here have only the cold. But I did include darker shrubs in the one I'm working on now. I had to get out my tube paints, as the old, $3, 8 color student set won't cooperate with me to make better greens, lol.
She saw a Horny Toad close to the base of the sign pole, but it saw her, too, and disappeared in a flash, leaving only a cloud of dust! She dug for it, but we never saw it again.

Painting with oils is much friendlier. Adjustments, even numerous adjustments, can be made...

Painting with oils is much friendlier. Adjustments, even numerous adjustments, can be made...

Yup, I made a mistake yesterday on a watercolor and it will be difficult to correct. You really have to be careful with every brush stroke and even then you just hope the paint does what you want. I'm a little reckless sometimes and that's not good with watercolor.

Wow, the last attempt is such an improvement. It still looks immediate, which I love. You really got the body proportions down pat with both the people and the dog. Really great little painting, not just for a study either. ♥️

John, I hope you were able to correct your error to your satisfaction.

Arty, Thanks. I appreciate your supportive comments. They are very helpful.

The first of these studies was a 2" x 3" pen on bond paper. The others are 4.5 x 6", one in graphite on bond, the others wc on wc paper. Crits and comments appreciated. Thanks for looking. :)
thumbnail_IMG_6917.jpg

This second, direct wc, (no drawing, using the above as "reference"
thumbnail_IMG_6918.jpg

Not satisfied I did 2 graphite drawings, the second is below.

thumbnail_IMG_6916.jpg

the last, the chairs were done with Grumbacher's Designers Opaque watercolors, rather than transparent wc.

thumbnail_IMG_6921.jpg

Thanks for looking!

You are giving it a go and learning from each. You know that art is an addiction. Enjoy. 👍

Arty, Wayne, CaliAnn, thanks. Your words are helpful. I'm hoping these studies will help me be more spontaneous and faster at painting. I've not done much watercolor, not much drawing or painting for what seems a long time. These studies, and your support will help.

The Jericho Tree The first of these studies was a 2" x 3" pen on bond paper. The others are 4.5 x 6", two in graphite on bond, to try the scene, the 3 others are wc on wc paper. The last two were practice for the tree. There were a few more trials, but these give an idea. Crits and comments appreciated. Thanks for looking.

thumbnail_IMG_6939.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6940.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6941.jpg

more trials on the tree:
thumbnail_IMG_6942.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6943.jpg

The (maybe final) one is in the ENDINGS thread in the OILS forum.
Thanks for looking. C&C appreciated. :)

Back