Art and Humor

I am going to use that! "You can die from exposure." Although, I heard that sentiment a lot more when I was much younger. I could have used that come back then.

the_desecration_of_adam_by_jflaxman_d8ei7vq-350t.jpg

the_desecration_of_adam_by_jflaxman_d8ei7vq-350t.jpg

That, it seems to me, is the lesson of the ugliest forms of modern art and architecture. They do not show reality, but take revenge on it, spoiling what might have been a home, and leaving us to wander unconsoled and alienated in a spiritual desert.

Roger Scruton: Why Beauty Matters

I just don't know how you found that illustration of me reaching for those French fries. I thought I was having a private moment but I guess I was really posing for this picture. 🤣

BeFunky_BeFunky_Goya_y_Lucientes_Francisco_de-Brigand_Murdering_a_Woman.small.jpg

4.sm.JPG

128588.jpg

Art has more than one goal. Revealing... even amplifying the horrors that exist in this world is a legitimate aim of some artists. Perhaps not you. Not me either. But all art doesn't strive toward the creation of beauty or spiritual idealism.

Art has more than one goal. Revealing... even amplifying the horrors that exist in this world is a legitimate aim of some artists. Perhaps not you. Not me either. But all art doesn't strive toward the creation of beauty or spiritual idealism.

Scruton isn't critical of… fine art

just the intention

Last edited by a moderator:

Also, "ugly art" is in the eye of the beholder, and I can find a painting of ugly subject matter very beautiful, or find a painting of beautiful subject matter less than inspiring. E.g. I find Goya's Third of May very beautiful, even though its subject matter horrifies me. I have no interest in witnessing a mass execution, but I could spend much time looking and looking at that painting.

And on the converse side, most art cognoscenti would argue that Kinkade's paintings are the worst sort of kitsch. But not many of them would object to having a stroll through the fantasy world he depicts, had it been for real.

A young artist exhibits his work for the first time, and a well known art critic is in attendance.
The critic says to the young artist, “would you like to hear my opinion of your work?”
“Yes,” the artist replies.
“It’s worthless,” the critic says.
“I know, the artist replies, “but let’s hear it anyway.”

Back