Art and Humor

We may laugh, but I know of at least one case. Unfortunately cannot remember the details, but it was some famous physicist. As I recall, he was a Japanese conscript in WWII, and they were about to be sent into battle. They all fully expected that they'd die the next day. So that night, while everyone else was writing death poems and stuff, he was pouring over a physics textbook, feeling that if these were to be his last hours, he wanted to spend them studying physics.

Perhaps we have some equally dedicated artists here? In that ultimately chew-your-own-wrists-off movie Monster's Ball, a condemned man spends his last hours on death row making portrait sketches of his jailers. I suppose one think of worse ways to go out. :)

1704755954029.png

We may laugh, but I know of at least one case. Unfortunately cannot remember the details, but it was some famous physicist. As I recall, he was a Japanese conscript in WWII, and they were about to be sent into battle. They all fully expected that they'd die the next day. So that night, while everyone else was writing death poems and stuff, he was pouring over a physics textbook, feeling that if these were to be his last hours, he wanted to spend them studying physics.

Perhaps we have some equally dedicated artists here? In that ultimately chew-your-own-wrists-off movie Monster's Ball, a condemned man spends his last hours on death row making portrait sketches of his jailers. I suppose one think of worse ways to go out. :)
When I was a musician, I mean, I still am, but when I was a dedicated one, I would probably say I would want to "go out playing" at one point. Nowadays, I'm so out of practice that I would sound pretty awful and be too frustrated to want that, but I get the sentiment for sure. Going out making art? Nah.

Reminds me of the comedian Dave Allen saying that as a small child he attended a burial in Ireland but misheard the Irish priest. What he said was is "In the name of the Father, the Son and of the Holy Ghost."

What the young Allen heard was "Un tha narm of der Father und tha Son und in'tah the Hole 'e goes."

So, for years afterwards he crossed himself "In the name of the father, the son and into the hole he goes."

Back