Art and Humor

Greatest strips of all time-- Krazy Kat, early Peanuts, Pogo, and Calvin and Hobbes, my favorite.

Watterson's commentary on that one is that he's the kind of person who can see every side of a situation, which leads to a sort of psychological paralysis. I know what he means.

Bill Watterson is one my biggest artistic heroes. His talent aside, I truly admire him. He did what he wanted to do, refused all attempts by the syndicate to merchandise his creation or do any TV specials, thus losing many millions in potential income, called their bluff when they threatened to discontinue the strip, badgered them into letting him do very large Sunday color strips in unusual formats, took several long sabbaticals, got offstage while the getting was good, and then vanished.

I have all the books except the super deluxe complete editions, which cost stupid money. Still laugh out loud funny. Look out, it's the hideous scum beings of Planet Q-13!

Watterson's little snipes at the pretensions of the fine arts world, previously posted by stlukes and Claude, are amazingly trenchant. I've read entire essays that weren't as to the point.
ch130723.gif

Last edited:
Bill Watterson is one my biggest artistic heroes. His talent aside, I truly admire him. He did what he wanted to do, refused all attempts by the syndicate to merchandise his creation or do any TV specials, thus losing many millions in potential income, called their bluff when they threatened to discontinue the strip, badgered them into letting him do very large Sunday color strips in unusual formats, took several long sabbaticals, got offstage while the getting was good, and then vanished.

I suspect he made a fortune anyway - just not as much as the corporations wanted. :)

I suspect he made a fortune anyway - just not as much as the corporations wanted. :)

Oh yeah, he made plenty. The books are still huge sellers. But unlike Charles Schulz, Watterson didn't need any more than he was already making. He successfully resisted enormous pressure from the syndicate to merchandise Calvin and Hobbes. He was true to his creation. He didn't want Calvin or Hobbes to have voices defined by TV voice over actors. He gave all that the finger and went on his merry way once he felt the strip had gone on long enough. I well remember where I was for the very last one. I have no doubt he could revive it to great applause if he wanted to. He doesn't, and he won't.

Last edited:
paintings are spiritually enriching, sublime, high art

See Arty, we seriously need a "roll eyes" emoji under the "likes". :rolleyes:

Back