Art and Humor

Obviously, I put the Pompeii painting in the wrong thrad. I had intended for the "recently Discovered Work" thread... but I was half asleep. :sleep:

I am dutch (though I don't live there anymore), and believe me, you can't pronounce it correctly, please don't try...:LOL:

Do you also have the word "gogga" in Dutch? It's an Afrikaans word meaning bug or insect. So a local writer wrote a kid's book titled "Vincent van Gogga", about some or other insect that takes up painting... :)

Obviously, I put the Pompeii painting in the wrong thrad. I had intended for the "recently Discovered Work" thread... but I was half asleep. :sleep:

🤣 I am laughing, not at you putting it in the wrong place, but that I found humour in the painting. I thought the image had been manipulated, somehow, to have the central figure "excavating" her nose. That, together with the title, and we have a potential eruption. Or maybe it's just me. That's a possibility.

😁 So that's Pompeii!

And I wonder what English sounds like to them? Maybe like we have no brains.

I looked that up, what English sounds like to non-English-speaking speakers of Arabic. I stopped at the first answer where, surprisingly, Scots was mentioned alongside a sore brain.

Apparently, the word Barbarian has its origins in the Ancient Greek's interpretation of the sound they heard when a foreigner spoke an unfamiliar tongue. "Bar bar. Bar bar."

I have often heard that same sound in various pubs I've frequented, usually followed by the word, "him."

Playing this would have really messed with an Ancient Greek"s ear. They were, after all, into the Classics.

Facebook art.

fb art.jpg

I guess it would depend on who was looking ;) But really, when i said I was in with a chance, I had my eye on the painting. :poop: I mean, even I could do that! I think? 😁

I think there is truth in that cartoon, but it also applies to the subject matter of the art. I suspect that "the man in the street" who loves horses, for example, will love any painting of a horse, regardless of its artistic merits. I know I am guilty of that — I usually like any work of art that shows at least one nude male.

Back