Another Altered Sphere

Hermes2020

Stoneware, height 400 mm. Glazed corrugated face with rubbed oxides on the rest of the body.

DSC_3136.jpg

DSC_3132.jpg

DSC_3135.jpg

I like all of these. They would make beautiful decor in modern homes. Great conversation pieces too.

So beautiful and compelling at the same time. Great craftmanship as well. Wonderful! :)

Yes, very tactile. Makes me want to hold it in my palms. Something musical about the symmetry too.

A very interesting piece, and the attraction seems to grow with continued observation.

I feel that there are several 2D paintings that could be made with this as the motif. One would have to be a 'Picasso' combining the several views and aspects together; I wonder what he would do with this.

There also might be a facial portrait using the elements of the various views and pieces.
I wish I had the ability to do so . . .

Last edited:
The textures on this are very cool. The piece has a very organic, eroded feel, which is something I'm really into.

The textures on this are very cool. The piece has a very organic, eroded feel, which is something I'm really into.

Thank you. You've identified one of my obsessions: textures. You'll see some bubbling of the glaze during the second high firing, at the top right edge of the corrugated plane. I liked that accidental texture, so did not grind it off

DSC_3136 detail.jpg

I've looked at this a few times and could not settle on the right words of praise and so I'm just gonna say I love it! I like all your sculptures. How long have you been making these?

I've looked at this a few times and could not settle on the right words of praise and so I'm just gonna say I love it! I like all your sculptures. How long have you been making these?

Katie, I am so happy to hear you say it, since I adore your paintings; they are so much like the work I would like to be able to do. I am a retired scientist and have been doing ceramics as a hobby since the second year of doing research for my PhD in chemistry. So, that means I've been messing around with clay for more than 50 years!

I also paint, but after seeing your work I am too embarrassed to show any of my paintings in Creative Spark, apart from the recent Lead Strips one.

Katie, I am so happy to hear you say it, since I adore your paintings; they are so much like the work I would like to be able to do. I am a retired scientist and have been doing ceramics as a hobby since the second year of doing research for my PhD in chemistry. So, that means I've been messing around with clay for more than 50 years!

I also paint, but after seeing your work I am too embarrassed to show any of my paintings in Creative Spark, apart from the recent Lead Strips

Don't be shy! Let's see them 😁

Back