Animal And Wildlife Challenge For February 2023

I'll post my work first and then return with comments:
all are ink, 5x8" page.

animals_feb2023-01.jpg

animals_feb2023-02.jpg

animals_feb2023-03.jpg

animals_feb2023-04.jpg

Cheers,

Christel -- oh the horses are just glowing! Fun running wolf.
joe1lt - that wolf in colour is fantastic!
Queenbee - wonderful face on the doggie :)
Joy - so many colours in the elephant!

Here are mine. Each was started with a freehand pencil sketch, then I added ink and on the toucan, I added watercolor.

They are done in an XL Mix Media sketchbook, 7"x 10".

Thanks Patricia for hosting this month. They were great images to choose from.

20230211Sk7 12 Point Deer- AWC (CS).png

20230218Sk7 Toucan-AWC (CS).png

Christel, I love your horses on the black paper. Very effective. I also love your wolf. Wonderful work on the fur. The orange background was perfect.

Joe, good work on all of these. I can't pick a favorite. They are each good in their own way.

Deborah, I really like how your dog came out on the black background. It was a perfect choice of media for this reference.

Joy, lovely elephant. I like what you were able to do with the limited palette. They can be a lot of fun to play with.

Nice work EP. I think my favorites this time are the cow, elephant, tucon and horse.

Christel - Wonderful drawings ! These are really good !

Joe - Lovely work, especially the lemur and meercat.

Queen Bee - Fabulous drawing of the dog . lovely expression.

Joy - Very good elephant. Ink /wash is very unforgiving , I don't know how people do it !
[ I like to able to erase ! ]

Eyepaint - I always look forward to your drawings ! My favourite this time is meercat.

Anne - Stunning drawings - very good work.

Cheers,
Patricia

Christel: Love the horses. Nice choice of background color for the fox.
Joe: Lovely sketches.
Joy: Pleasing to the eye. Love the color palette.

CaliAnn, Joy, Anne, and pcj thank you.

i really enjoy seeing all the work. So good! I haven’t done any art since I lost my dog Indy before Christmas. I’ve just got a new little boy, Benny, a rescue from Spain, so hope to feel more like drawing/painting soon. I believe I am to post the photos for next month’s challenge, so must sort out some for that. Here he is. I hope you don’t mind my posting him here. Please let me know if you object.
C85F714F-2E18-4497-A661-801A1AFAA2F0.jpeg

Here is my contribution . It’s is soft pastels on a deep blue pastel paper. A3 size.
1A29F3C5-555D-483D-8EFF-BDC773391BD5.jpeg

Christel love both your pictures

Joe amazing sketches and especially the one with colour.

Queen Bee It must have been difficult to use the colures on black paper. It is very effective.

Joy the use of a limited palette has produce a beautiful picture.

Eye paint another wonderful selection of fun sketches.

Arms both sketches are great. I loved how you managed to get the sense of depth in the trees.

Regards

Lesley

Lesley,thanks, wonderful Horse.

Schuee, Benny is Wonderful.

I'm so sorry about Indy, I hope you'll be back soon to make your amazing art.

Penny, sorry you lost Indy. I know how difficult it is when you lose a pet. I think Benny is asking to be painted though. Look at that pose!

Leslie, I love the soft effect you got on your horse. Wonderful feel of motion. He is ready to jump off the page.

Penny, sorry you lost Indy. I know how difficult it is when you lose a pet. I think Benny is asking to be painted though. Look at that pose!

Leslie, I love the soft effect you got on your horse. Wonderful feel of motion. He is ready to jump off the page.
Thank you very much, Anne. Yes, it’s been a horrible few months, but Benny is here now! I hope to take part in the challenge next month. it is a good photo and one I could use when I draw him. 😎

EP: Your drawings are always wonderful, and I always look forward to seeing them - wonderful work!
Anne: Beautiful drawings - I love the sense of peace with that first one - top notch!
Lesley: Your pastel painting is gorgeous - I love all those swirling colors - gorgeous!
Penny: I am so sorry for your loss - I know how hard it can be. Benny is just too cute for words!

Reactions: ams
I would have replied sooner but the notification bell at the top of the page was not showing any new activity in this thread, despite new postings. Thank you all for your kind words.

EP, I always look forward to your compositions.
Anne, Both are so lovely in your style, especially the toucan. Gorgeous!
Penny, "Penny and Benny" sure has a nice ring to it! He looks at home already, and is indeed fortunate to have a loving owner such as you. Jake was the only pet either Jerry or I ever had, and his loss was devastating. I noted that you had not been very active lately. Email me or PM me if you want and tell me all about him! Take as much time as you need for yourself and Benny. There is a thread where pet photos are encouraged at CS here.
Lesley,
The feeling of motion, which is very hard to achieve, is well expressed. The details on the face are just perfect.Your art has been improving so much. Are you practicing more?

Last edited:
Penny - I'm so sorry to hear about Indy. They leave such a huge hole behind don't they
and the house seems so silent without them. I'm very glad that you now have Benny -
he looks so nice.

Patricia

Lesley - Lovely drawing, you've captured the movement, expression - everything.
Cheers,
Patricia

Eyepaint enjoyed your sketches. You have a great eye. No pun intended.
Anne your elk is majestic and great background.
Penny sorry for your loss. So glad you have added Benny to your family. How could you not paint such a cutie.
Rainowl2 your horse is fabulous. Beautiful use of accent colors on the horse.

I would have replied sooner but the notification bell at the top of the page was not showing any new activity in this thread, despite new postings. Thank you all for your kind words.

EP, I always look forward to your compositions.
Anne, Both are so lovely in your style, especially the toucan. Gorgeous!
Penny, "Penny and Benny" sure has a nice ring to it! He looks at home already, and is indeed fortunate to have a loving owner such as you. Jake was the only pet either Jerry or I ever had, and his loss was devastating. I noted that you had not been very active lately. Email me or PM me if you want and tell me all about him! Take as much time as you need for yourself and Benny. There is a thread where pet photos are encouraged at CS here.
Lesley,
The feeling of motion, which is very hard to achieve, is well expressed. The details on the face are just perfect.Your art has been improving so much. Are you practicing more?
Thank you, Joy. I will contact you about Benny.👋 Thanks for the link to the pet thread.

Back