Air cooled volkswagens

Kyle Martin

Hello everyone,
Those old air cooled vw’s spark nostalgia into all of us, and I couldn’t resist painting them on a Sunday afternoon last May.
This is at Percy’s garage, in Madison, Wisconsin. It is a great old service shop for vw’s. The owner knows everything there is to know about these cars. I hope once he retires someone else keeps it going
IMG_5659.jpeg

The sight size is 16x24”, and the framed size is 22x30”. I know it’s not a standard size, but I love painting with the 2x3 format. I have my frames made by a local Amish cabinet maker. The wood is harvested only a few miles from my studio.
IMG_5660.jpeg

Hi Kyle. I like this painting and it reminds me of my first car which was a ‘66 orange Karmann Ghia convertible. It made me fond of VW’s forever. I also like your website and the chunky, blocky and bright style you have. Your work reminds me of colorforms which I loved doing as a kid.

Do you remember any of those things, or are you a young whippersnapper??🧐

Thank you, OliveOyl,
I love the old vw’s as well. I learned to drive stick on a 72 bug, and have a ‘63 parked in a shed at my place now. I’ve had it for 25 years. I have fond memories of those cars, I am indeed a young whippersnapper.

Thanks for the comments on my color and shape making 😊. For me painting is more fun when I’m designing with the contrasts of big shapes.
I looked at your site and I’m an instant fan of your work as well.
Have a great evening,
Kyle

Last edited:
I adore and love every inch of this, Kyle! The palette is so spot on for these vehicles. :love: Even the loose style reflects the feel of that automotive era. Perfection!

my first car which was a ‘66 orange Karmann Ghia convertible
A Ghia girl! ❤️ One of my old friends had one, and we had a blast driving around in that thing.

Hers was "that" orange, too! Great cars.

I adore and love every inch of this, Kyle! The palette is so spot on for these vehicles. :love: Even the loose style reflects the feel of that automotive era. Perfection!
Thanks, Terri, I’m glad you like the loose handling on this one 🤩the cars directed it. I’m having fun remembering the old vw days hahah.

Awwww, love this. The shapes and colors are super. Very large for such a quick plein air. I like this so much.

Kyle, wow! LOVE your technique and style here, and your amazing brushstrokes. And the subject matter--one of my favorites, as I owned many, many old V-dubs. I used to restore type 3 bodies (Fastbacks, Squarebacks, Ghias, etc.) I had them all. The Squareback of 1970 was the first fuel-injected car, and I had one of those too. That was the last one I had in the 1990s, the last one I restored that I sold for a mere $4K. I bet it would be worth many times that now.

Thanks everyone, those old VW's make great subjects.
Ayin, that is very cool that you owned so many air cooled VWs. I have always loved the Karman Ghias and Squarebacks. They are such intereresting cars, and there are so few on the roads now here in Wisconsin. I have a 64 bug parked in my shed that I have owned for 25 years.

I very much like the style of this. 🙂

Some great stories in this thread too!

I'm a car guy anyway so I like anything to do with them. I really like the colors. They really pop out!

Great painting of Love Bugs and Hippie wagons! Well done, Kyle. ❤️

Back