After the storm

MurrayG

Contributing Member
Hi folks. Managed to get out a bit. Big snow storm in Stockholm stuffed up everything but it presented an opportunity. Walked along the water and tried my hand at a snow/waterside scene, Pleinair. Cold fingers but.... 24x30 Pastelmat, Rembrandt and Sennelier.
Definitely needed a hot coffee after.

IMG_20230310_125921.jpg

Beautiful Murray! It makes me cold, but I'm so glad you were able to get out to create this. Wonderful job! I especially like the yellow grasses. ❤️

Beautiful Murray! It makes me cold, but I'm so glad you were able to get out to create this. Wonderful job! I especially like the yellow grasses. ❤️
Thanks Ayin, Thanks for the compliment. The waterway was frozen and snow-covered and the bank along the water had a deep drift. I flattened the snow down and was kneeling, so a quick painting! The tall reeds were so tall and thin.... May try for another spot soon.

I really love this painting. It's an expertly done cold scene. Your foreground branches look awesome, stretching out to the reeds. Reeds are the perfect yellow-gray: trying to be warm, but just can't make it. Terrific background, too.

Just wonderful! ❤️

T
I really love this painting. It's an expertly done cold scene. Your foreground branches look awesome, stretching out to the reeds. Reeds are the perfect yellow-gray: trying to be warm, but just can't make it. Terrific background, too.

Just wonderful! ❤️
THanks Terri. It was a bonus painting after all the flight delays. Learnt something about "not white" landscapes.

I love this! You've really captured the essence of a cold day. Love those textures. I'm one of those people who doesn't sketch outdoors too often because it's always too cold/windy/damp/sunny/people might see, so I should take note from this! 🙂

Hi Triduana. I think i ticked all of those. I was kneeling on the packed down snow. When I tried to stand, my knees were so stiff I couldnt, nearly called someone to help🤪 Snow dropped off trees onto the paper, people did stop to look at the crazy guy in the snow.... Wish I had taken a thermos if coffee. But all good in the end.

Makes me cold too. You did a great job with frozen fingers. ❤️ Boy that was an energetic size for hauling along for plein aire!

Back