Kings Spear

MurrayG

Contributing Member
Hi Folks. At long last I have put chalk to paper again after 2-3 weeks of having life get in the way.
Not happy with the result but it was nice to get out and draw in the fresh air. Along the hillside above the sea, a field of Kings Spear in flower.
Sennelier on Pastelmat, 24x30 cm.
IMG-173715-kingspear2.jpg

I'm not familiar with Kings Spear but they are beautiful, Murray! That's a very steep hillside! It looks like you had a very nice day to be out painting.

I'm not familiar with Kings Spear but they are beautiful, Murray! That's a very steep hillside! It looks like you had a very nice day to be out painting.
Thanks Donna, great to get out and get dusty fingers after so long. Painting took about 30 minutes after walking and settling in :)

Got to admit I didn't know its name either, took a bit of searching to match it :) I will collect some seeds to plant in the garden, There are white and yellow varieties.

I think you have a lovely result! It's easy to get twitchy after being unable to get to art after a few weeks- trust me, I know!!

I've never heard of these flowers either, but they sure look good here. A very spring like scene!

Hi, if you google Kings Spear, Croatia or Asphodeline you may find it. It's a tall stem with a long bud with many small yellow flowers.
It seems to favour "areas" as you can drive for ages then suddenly go past hills with lots of it. I aim to do a studio work from some photos with more detail.... I'm too impatient doing pleinair to go for "realism" :)

Good work, direct and expressive. Those violets tie it together well.
We still have a wet muddy spring here.

Good work, direct and expressive. Those violets tie it together well.
We still have a wet muddy spring here.
Hi, thanks, glad you like it. The weather here has finally gone Spring. Im waiting for the hillsides to really take off soon :)

Kings spear is a new plant for me! It's very striking. I really like your painting, especially those strong diagonals and the way you've used blues and purples.

Back