Activists Chucking Soup at Paintings

JessieNebulous

Have ya'll heard about this? Climate change and oil drilling activists have been throwing soup at paintings. They souped a Van Gogh! I'm actually really pissed off by that. The salt alone can't be good for a painting, as well as the preservatives and other crap they put into canned soup. Restoration experts can probably handle it but still. Have some respect for the masters and the people those paintings mean so much to, you know? Ugh.

EDIT- Apparently the paintings were behind glass and thus unharmed, which makes me far less pissed off. Still annoyed by the idiocy, though.

Last edited:
They've been doing this a lot lately. I hate seeing it. I don't know if theyve gotten any unprotected paintings yet or not but my fear is if it continues sooner or later they will.

They are just paintings.

1669132113968.png

They are just paintings.
That's a pretty nihilistic mindset. Everything is just a thing. What matters is the meaning and emotional value attached to a particular thing. Things that have value to other people should be respected. Just because something has no value to you doesn't mean it is meaningless to other people, and part of being an empathetic human being is respecting things other people care about even if you don't care about it yourself.

That's a pretty nihilistic mindset. Everything is just a thing. What matters is the meaning and emotional value attached to a particular thing. Things that have value to other people should be respected. Just because something has no value to you doesn't mean it is meaningless to other people, and part of being an empathetic human being is respecting things other people care about even if you don't care about it yourself.

I think I added the temp chart after you responded. My point is that the earth and it's living things are far more important.

I think I added the temp chart after you responded. My point is that the earth and it's living things are far more important.
Living things are more important, true. But pissing people off doesn't help the cause. You make a scene in activism to raise awareness, but awareness is already fully raised. Everyone is aware of climate change, and already has feelings about it one way or the other. You raise awareness, then you educate. But you can't educate pissed off people. They aren't receptive to your information. All these activists did was pointlessly martyr themselves for the cause, which is a self-serving action that does nothing to further the cause and only serves to make themselves feel better about it. They accomplished absolutely nothing except make nuisances of themselves and make it that much harder for other people trying to do the more difficult, less flashy work of educating ignorant people about climate change.

But yet hear we are talking about it. That fact alone shows the activists accomplished at least something if people are talking about it more. And while their actions piss us off the fact is most people don't really care about paintings that much.

But yet hear we are talking about it. That fact alone shows the activists accomplished at least something if people are talking about it more. And while their actions piss us off the fact is most people don't really care about paintings that much.
We're talking about the activists. Not climate change or ways to solve it. That accomplishes nothing.

Living things are more important, true. But pissing people off doesn't help the cause. You make a scene in activism to raise awareness, but awareness is already fully raised. Everyone is aware of climate change, and already has feelings about it one way or the other. You raise awareness, then you educate. But you can't educate pissed off people. They aren't receptive to your information. All these activists did was pointlessly martyr themselves for the cause, which is a self-serving action that does nothing to further the cause and only serves to make themselves feel better about it. They accomplished absolutely nothing except make nuisances of themselves and make it that much harder for other people trying to do the more difficult, less flashy work of educating ignorant people about climate change.
It's being done for deliberate shock value, no doubt. The whole exercise being a metaphor of sorts to what we, as a collective, are doing to the planet. Only in this case they are (thus far) deliberately choosing protected artwork to "deface." No permanent harm has been done to the art, but the same may not be true to what is happening to the planet and many of its species.

I agree these activists are taking a certain risk with their choice of drawing attention to their cause. I'm finding that I cannot be angry at them, personally, due to the protection of the targeted art. That chart is real.

It's being done for deliberate shock value, no doubt. The whole exercise being a metaphor of sorts to what we, as a collective, are doing to the planet. Only in this case they are (thus far) deliberately choosing protected artwork to "deface." No permanent harm has been done to the art, but the same may not be true to what is happening to the planet and many of its species.

I agree these activists are taking a certain risk with their choice of drawing attention to their cause. I'm finding that I cannot be angry at them, personally, due to the protection of the targeted art. That chart is real.
They drew attention to themselves, not their cause. I doubt a single climate change skeptic saw this in the news and thought to themselves, "Gee, maybe I've been wrong about this whole thing. I should probably better educate myself on this matter." Instead, they're just likely to lump ALL climate change activists into a group with the soup-throwers and dismiss the entire lot as a bunch of jackholes. If anything, they've HARMED their cause. The only ones being sympathetic towards them were already on that side to begin with.

They drew attention to themselves, not their cause. I doubt a single climate change skeptic saw this in the news and thought to themselves, "Gee, maybe I've been wrong about this whole thing. I should probably better educate myself on this matter." Instead, they're just likely to lump ALL climate change activists into a group with the soup-throwers and dismiss the entire lot as a bunch of jackholes. If anything, they've HARMED their cause. The only ones being sympathetic towards them were already on that side to begin with.

Yup, they are most likely greatly harming their own cause. But then, when it comes to these issues, for decades now my standard saying has been "may ye heavens protect the environment and endangered species from the greens." :)

So far they probably don't intend to but what if someone screws up or misses that point?
What they are doing is also art as well as activism, but that's just one opinion. And they haven't harmed any art. I think their point is not to harm things.

But they have drawn attention to their cause.

I remember that similar criticism was levelled at the Vietnam War protestors. In fact four of them were killed by the US National Guard. Every every protest in the US, and probably the world, has been criticized and every one was for a good reason. Whether it was the war, the rights of women, blacks, gays, etc. People hated on them all. Called them trouble makers and worse. There were probably some folks that bemoaned when all that delicious tea was destroyed in Boston harbor. Every single protest for good cause was met with anger and dismay. They were disturbing. We don't like to be disturbed.

I have a degree in environmental science. Never used it career-wise, but I've been watching this issue for over forty years. The oncoming climate catastrophe will result in much death and destruction of both humans and nature. It will cause mass extinction. This is more than just some damaged picture frames. It's just starting and will get much worse. Nothing is being done about it. The CO2 levels continue higher unabated. The recent COP22 resulted in nothing to reduce CO2 emissions. They decided to just give some money to the poor nations. The oil interests and the oil producing countries made sure of that. They also like to propagandize through the media outlets. They want us to hate on anything "green".

I've supported every protest movement and I support this one. They have all been for good causes. Protest bothers people. It's messy and reminds us of bad things. But it needs to be done. Otherwise these issues are ignored because we don't want to think about them. Mankind needs to be slapped and woken up. If that requires damaging some picture frames.......so what. The outrage is in the wrong place. The fossil fuel interests love that. They like to leave out the fact that no paintings were damaged.

CO2 is a greenhouse gas. It holds heat in the lower atmosphere and controls earth's temps. Acts like a thermostat to set the temp.
We (mankind as a whole) aren't doing anything to change it's rise.

Sorry to be such a Debby Downer............Oh wait, that's sexist isn't it? :)

1669215870559.png

There isn't much good info about the science out there. It's like the red headed step child. We don't want to think about it. When was the last time you saw anything about it on TV, or pop media? It's not profitable to bring it up. But if you want to know more................

I doubt a single climate change skeptic saw this in the news and thought to themselves, "Gee, maybe I've been wrong about this whole thing. I should probably better educate myself on this matter."
See this is the mistake that alot of people make. People like this aren't trying to turn the opposition. Once people pick a side it takes alot of work to change their mind. The point is to grab the attention of the people on the fence.
And by talking about the activists their goals are brought up. This puts it on the minds of people who otherwise wouldnt be thinking about it.

What they are doing is also art as well as activism, but that's just one opinion. And they haven't harmed any art. I think their point is not to harm things.
That's actually a point I hadn't thought of before. Its a form of performance art.
And I guess if enough of them glue their hands to a war it might also be considered a collage. :LOL:

If you all start getting political about this subject, I will be forced to take down the thread or close it.

But they have drawn attention to their cause.

I remember that similar criticism was levelled at the Vietnam War protestors. In fact four of them were killed by the US National Guard. Every every protest in the US, and probably the world, has been criticized and every one was for a good reason. Whether it was the war, the rights of women, blacks, gays, etc. People hated on them all. Called them trouble makers and worse. There were probably some folks that bemoaned when all that delicious tea was destroyed in Boston harbor. Every single protest for good cause was met with anger and dismay. They were disturbing. We don't like to be disturbed.

I have a degree in environmental science. Never used it career-wise, but I've been watching this issue for over forty years. The oncoming climate catastrophe will result in much death and destruction of both humans and nature. It will cause mass extinction. This is more than just some damaged picture frames. It's just starting and will get much worse. Nothing is being done about it. The CO2 levels continue higher unabated. The recent COP22 resulted in nothing to reduce CO2 emissions. They decided to just give some money to the poor nations. The oil interests and the oil producing countries made sure of that. They also like to propagandize through the media outlets. They want us to hate on anything "green".

I've supported every protest movement and I support this one. They have all been for good causes. Protest bothers people. It's messy and reminds us of bad things. But it needs to be done. Otherwise these issues are ignored because we don't want to think about them. Mankind needs to be slapped and woken up. If that requires damaging some picture frames.......so what. The outrage is in the wrong place. The fossil fuel interests love that. They like to leave out the fact that no paintings were damaged.

CO2 is a greenhouse gas. It holds heat in the lower atmosphere and controls earth's temps. Acts like a thermostat to set the temp.
We (mankind as a whole) aren't doing anything to change it's rise.

Sorry to be such a Debby Downer............Oh wait, that's sexist isn't it? :)

View attachment 26334

There isn't much good info about the science out there. It's like the red headed step child. We don't want to think about it. When was the last time you saw anything about it on TV, or pop media? It's not profitable to bring it up. But if you want to know more................

I don't watch TV, but I see ads about climate change all the time on YouTube. Probably because I watch videos on it so they're personalized to me. There's good information on climate science out there. And a *lot* is being done. Not enough, but to say "nothing" is being done is inaccurate and minimalizes the efforts people are making. We are making great headway in alternate energy sources that will lessen our reliance on fossil fuels, and that will make a big impact. It won't be one type of energy source that takes over fossil fuel, but a combination of multiple sources like wind, solar, and even a "salt water battery" that I forget the name of. We are working on the problem. Whether it'll be enough, only time will tell.

And your "Oh wait, that's sexist isn't it" comment was pretty unnecessary and came across as antagonistic to me. There's no need for attitude here.

I don't watch TV, but I see ads about climate change all the time on YouTube. Probably because I watch videos on it so they're personalized to me. There's good information on climate science out there. And a *lot* is being done. Not enough, but to say "nothing" is being done is inaccurate and minimalizes the efforts people are making. We are making great headway in alternate energy sources that will lessen our reliance on fossil fuels, and that will make a big impact. It won't be one type of energy source that takes over fossil fuel, but a combination of multiple sources like wind, solar, and even a "salt water battery" that I forget the name of. We are working on the problem. Whether it'll be enough, only time will tell.

And your "Oh wait, that's sexist isn't it" comment was pretty unnecessary and came across as antagonistic to me. There's no need for attitude here.

Sorry it sounded antagonistic Jessie, I was just trying to lighten the mood and be funny and as usual I insult. But I do actually wonder if it's a bit sexist. Using a negative with a female name associated with it. I'm going to stop doing it. Bad enough the "B" word seems to be everywhere these days.

I'm sure you know but one has to be careful with YT. There is a lot of paid for professional climate change denial fossil fuel interest propaganda on it. I see it, write a rebuttal comment , and then for some reason I never see them again. The algorithm is a two edged sword.

And yes, something is being done, but as we see from the above chart we -mankind as a whole - really aren't doing anything substantive. As we see in the chart above the CO2 level increase is not slowing at all and that is what matters. The idea that we are actually doing something is putting nice face on a harsh reality. And we are all doing it. "Hey, I recycle so......:) " We being mankind as a whole. That's the cold truth. Again, the oil interests would like us to think that we "doing something". They also want us to hate these activists. We also never see a chart like that.

But I certainly agree, those classic paintings are pretty nice and we shouldn't hurt them. I think everyone here is basically on the same page on this issue. I would hope so, it's an art forum. :)

To bring it back to art.....this is a pretty ugly watercolor painting I did some time ago. The ping pong ball sized ball would hold all the atmosphere at sea level pressure of a bowling ball sized earth. They can throw whatever on this one. Heck, burn it. :)

1669233341920.png

Last edited:
Back