35 facts about Bob Ross

Bongo

number 8 - Bob Ross hated his iconic hairdo.

I like the little fact that alledgedly "only" 10% of his viewers painted along. What do they mean "only"?! With his huge audience that is a crazy amount of painters!

Alexander thinks he invented Alla Prima?
From Wickpedia:
Wet-on-wet painting has been practiced alongside other techniques since the development of oil painting, and was used by several of the major Early Netherlandish painters in parts of their pictures, such as Jan van Eyck in the Arnolfini portrait, and Rogier van der Weyden.
Since the mid-19th century, the use of commercially produced paints in small collapsible tubes has facilitated an easily accessible variety of colors to be used for rapid and on-the-spot painting. Impressionists such as Claude Monet, post-Impressionists such as Vincent van Gogh, realists such as John Singer Sargent and Robert Henri and George Bellows, Expressionists such as Chaim Soutine, and the Abstract Expressionist Willem de Kooninghave in different ways employed this technique, and it is still heavily used by both figurative and non-figurative fine artists.[5]

"and was used by several of the major Early Netherlandish painters in parts of their pictures,"

I do that too. But I call it what it is - being too impatient to let the first layer dry.

"Magic White" is half linseed oil, half titanium white.

I know a painter that first coats his panel with liquin. I tried it once and ended up with a good painting - not sure what liquin's contribution was. I should try it again.

Back