Scavenger Hunt from Life #95: Dec 14 - Dec 22

Ai, the neighborhood stairs is so beautiful. It if full of light. I'm smiling. Thanks for taking us along.

Jennie Jo, good to see you here. Drawing for me is a record of time. I use my sketches, paintings and blog like a journal. We have all seen Ai's two girls grow up here. Make friends and had fun, all from drawing. It is my social outreach, especially now that we can't travel.

Ned, the umbrella tree and bench is great. Nice lines and shading. Thanks for the photo.

Joan, don't know how you do so many projects. The view with the skaters is amazing. I love the nutcracker. You can feel the life in the lady at the museum and the stillness of the statues somehow. Super.

3. sub. a garden gnome with the glowing Temple of the Dawn aka Wat-Arun in my our nocturne sketch (about 4x7 inch)... about 20 min. done... in directwatercolor

Dec17_2023_Thatien_P3.jpg

Dec17_2023_Thatien_P4.jpg

Ai, look at ou go with nocturne sketches. I like the way you show the building forms. Your students in rows look like a sculpture. Great work.

joe1lt, aww, fun gnomes and sketches. I like your lines in the black and white. Fuzzy fun color in the red and green!

Ai, thank you. It is nice that Bangkok provides light & sound shows to celebrate at this time of year. I like your nocturnal temple sketch. It is nice to have other people to sketch with especially at night. Your students are sitting like statues while they take the exam.

Jo, thanks. I use my sketching like a record of time too. Both of us keep a running record of what has been happening or what we are doing.

Joe 1, your gnomes are so good. They really made me smile! They are perfect holiday sketches. I'll have to do a few sketches of the gnomes I got last year. I bought 3 small ones last year and then a friend sent me a larger one.

Here is another sketch done for Use Sketchmas for the "people shopping" prompt.

6 - shoppers (sub for park walkers) - watercolors and ink

IMG_4274.jpeg
IMG_4274.jpeg

Thanks Joan, and Jo.

Joan:
Such a fantastic sketch in the supermarket... How long it took you to paint that?

I thought I posted this last night. Didn't hit post reply. Sigh....

Good morning, Ai. (Good night for you!)

Joan, You put so much detail in your sketches. You can see so many items here.

I sketched at my computer desk in the BookFactory sketchbook with a Micron 03. Number 1 mirror - subbing my iMac screen on Facetime to reflect behind me. I left off about 1/3 of the screen. Ha.
csshfl95mirror.jpg

Ai, I spent about 25 minutes sketching in the supermarket but added the color at home. I was standing so it wasn't super comfortable and I had more shopping to do. lol

Jo, good idea to use the FaceTime screen to see a mirror view. I use PhotoBooth to do the same thing. Fun to see the view that way. Nice!

Thanks for beautiful words.Ai,Jo,Joan,wonderful job.
Beautiful that you will draw Christmas gnomes too

Am behind on comments. Hope to catch up tomorrow.

#1 Garden birdhouse - substituting a ceramic one my brother made for is years ago.
Image is roughly 7x9 inches in 9x12 inch sketchbook. Multiple grades of graphite. Spent most of the afternoon piddling with this.

IMG_2214.jpeg

IMG_2215.jpeg

Keep sketching
Joe

Fletch, nice result of all your "piddling." You reminded me that I have birdhouses in my kitchen over the cabinets.

Joe 1, thanks.

I'm going to do an association so I can post this one that I did for Sketchmas earlier today. I needed to do a dog so I stopped at Petco and watched the dogs being trimmed and fluffed.

This dog will be looking for a #8 - fire hydrant soon (watercolors and ink)

IMG_4275.jpeg

Hi everyone. Thanks. Fun times here even with the busy times.

Robin, what a cute bag clip. Bunny room sounds interesting.

Joan, cute gnome. Well done in digi. Ha, love the doggie. Granddogs will be here on Wednesday so maybe I'll get in a sketch or two of them.

Fletch, wow, good job on the birdhouse. I like all the different shading and lines. Thanks for the photo, too. Love the pot on the shelf with the birdhouse.

Enjoying seeing these! :)
Rainy day here but got busy w/ holiday-related stuff... back tomorrow to comment. I have a "rainy day" item picked out....

A lot of good work…..I’ll comment some and more later

Ai - enchanting pink buildings emerging from clamorous growth raising color up to the dark sky…enchanting. Wonderful night sketches and photos!

Jenni Jo- it is easy to get mixed up by expectations and miss the simple pleasure that comes from pulling a brush or whatever across a page or the gentle strokes of a shading pencil or the way a little water spreads unpredictably tender gentle pleasures……

ned- one awesome umbrella tree..so cool

Joan some much in the city skater sketch. You fit it all so well. Love the nutcracker almost as much as the meter boxes and windows on the side street. The wistful quiet of the colored lady amongst the statues impacts me wil a stillness.

Jo C - Hi that is a very detailed sketch ,real clear and cozy…..

Fletch- your brother is an artist too! Your pencil is pretty good at piddlin….teeheee….

#2 Flower - Hibiscus. sketched the basic shape outside. Intent was to do in graphite But once. I sat down to do it I realized it really needed color. I could not use watercolor as I was using a sketchbook so decided to try Inktense pencil. Came out pretty good if you do not count the 2 holes in the papers as activating the ink took more water than the paper liked.☹️

IMG_2226.jpeg

IMG_2225.jpeg

keep sketching
Fletch

Last edited:
Back