Yellow Forest

moscatel

oil painter
I went to a nearby forest to paint plein air. 24x33 cm, about 9.5x13 inches, oil on Belgian linen mounted on board.
I don't quite like this plein air but husband kind of likes it. Values in the forest were very "shut down" I had hard time finding value differences there. But I'm still thinking of adding some tiny dark accents if that would help. I had limited time to paint there in the forest.
All critiques and thoughts about this plein air are the most welcome.
20211012_131806.jpg

It was very colorful and yellow out there really but I even had hard time taking photos ok. Light was so complicated.
IMG_20211010_134908.jpg

Ah, I can tell by your ref photo that you had challenging light here. I don't see any shadows and the sky looks washed out, so there was nothing to strike those pretty leaves and help you work out values.

In photography, we like having this even lighting as it keeps shadows off of faces and under the eyes. But for painting plein air...? This light isn't helpful.

Still, I think you ended up with a vibrant, colorful palette. I love your touches of bright green and red. Nice job. :)

Wow! IMO, this is fantastic. Your interpretation of this complex scene is full of light and space with warm and cool color pushed in an “expressionist” method that feels right to me. Bravo!

I find this sort of lighting a bit of a struggle, too. I like your decision to push the colours, and I love the energy and character of your brushmarks - I think those qualities make it a real success. From the photo, it looks like there was maybe an option to darken and dull the background a bit more to separate it from the bright foreground leaves - but that's the kind of thing I'm rubbish at seeing on the spot.

You took a complex scene and rather than simplifying made it work with an intricate weave of color and brushwork.

That is good moscatel but as an artist you sometimes have to take a heavy hand and force the issue. Tou are not a camera, you are an artist. Lovely color

I'm sorry you're not happy with the results moscatel, but I sure am! I love how busy it is. All the brush strokes sing to me. ♥️ ♥️ ♥️

Oh my gosh ... your painting is much more appealing than the photo of the scene! I can feel the yellow light from those glowing leaves (I love how it effects everything!) and your distinct un-muddied strokes of color make this one sing!

Very nice! Yeah, that kind of even lighting that comes with overcast skies just drain a scene of any contrast, but you made it work!

It is lovely, definitely fall. I think you could add some dark in the background and it would really make those leaves pop. Well done. ❤️❤️

Arty, Bartc, Donna, Esther, Laika and Sno, thank you for stopping by and commenting! I read with great interest what you all write and comment. Your thoughts are valuable! 👏

I went to a nearby forest to paint plein air. 24x33 cm, about 9.5x13 inches, oil on Belgian linen mounted on board.
I don't quite like this plein air but husband kind of likes it. Values in the forest were very "shut down" I had hard time finding value differences there. But I'm still thinking of adding some tiny dark accents if that would help. I had limited time to paint there in the forest.
All critiques and thoughts about this plein air are the most welcome.
View attachment 11378

It was very colorful and yellow out there really but I even had hard time taking photos ok. Light was so complicated.
View attachment 11379
Hi Moscatel, I like your interpretation, Its vibrant colours lift make you focus on what you saw. I have had the same lighting issues in Sweden on the MANY grey days and even here in Croatia when the weather turns. Finding how to interpret the scene with low value changes is what makes you an artist in my view. Sure there are some areas in the ref that can be useful, but I still like this interpreation, more that the reference image :) Well done.

This came out really lovely! I find I have the same problem with scenes like this when I paint in watercolor. It is hard to differentiate the leaves and trees that are in the front. In watercolor we are told to use a wash of ultramarine to set some of the scene back. I don't know how you would do that in oils. I do love your vibrant colors!

MurrayG, nice to hear you painted in Sweden. It must be often similar greys there as it's here where I am now. Your right it's a challenge to paint these dull grey scenes. Thanks so much for stopping by and commenting!
Joan T, Thank you! Ultramarine is interesting, lately I try to paint there some greys and I prefer to greenish side. I think, with oils I need to leave spaces to the leaves otherwise I get a mess/muddy thing. Or other way is to use much thicker oils on leaves that go on top/front like using Old Holland paints that are very stiff mixed with Stand Oil.

Back