WIP Antler Skull With Flowers & Crystals

JessieNebulous

So this is what I have so far. I'm torn on what color to do the background. I'm thinking purple to black, with lighter areas around the skull and crystals like they're glowing. But now I'm getting nervous about going too dark with it, so I'm thinking maybe a light green, to make it earthy and tie into the green vines. I'll do thumbnails to see which color combo I like best. But what do ya'll think?

20221123_131757.jpg

Using Chromaflow and Black Widow pencils.

Wow! What an awesome piece Jessie!

I think grey can be a good background for this, as it might pick up all the color, but I'm not 100% sure. I think you should wait to see what others think too. ;)

Decided to go with purple. Still in the patchy ugly phase, but it's starting to come together. I realize I could have centered the piece better on the paper but if that's the biggest mistake I make with this one, I'll gladly take it 🤣

20221123_210044.jpg

I should have thought of purple, as it's my "gray" go-to. This is already looking good because I can see past this phase. ;)
Thank you! I finished it, and am... mildly disappointed. This is my first major piece using the Derwent Chromaflow and didn't realize they had so much of a wax bloom. At least I know for future pieces. But yeah, I ended up being unable to blend it out on the right side as much as the left because it would have made the wax bloom that much worse. It's not terrible, just mildly disappointing.

20221124_015702.jpg

But I still like it, and plan to do more pieces along this vein. Maybe I'll even try to utilize some pastels for a background instead of pencils.

Back