Who here writes/is a writer?

of nostalgia … for a vanished world. The same as my nostalgia for the vanished world in which I burned those piles of dead leaves as a teenager.

the motivation for poetry

for Tolkien & myself

Last edited by a moderator:
Unlike Middle Earth, the vanished world I'm describing was real, not a product of my imagination. It would be better for me if it were.

Because the Hindi told you so, hm? I know a bunch of other religious works describing a myriad of different cosmologies, but not to worry, I"ll spare you the wiki links.

Back to people that show their own written creations instead those of others?

in fact, the 3rd Age is coming…

the Ages will ascend…

(meaning improvement)

Last edited by a moderator:
Very profound I'm sure, but it still has nothing to do with the topic here.

Precious, no ( cliche reference to Tolkien I assume).
It was interesting, until you found yet again the need to lecture us on the subject of your believe system.

Maybe so if you can't stay on topic, or don't stop pushing your agenda. If you can't participate any other way, then sorry to see you go.

Years ago I was at a party in a recording studio in Southall. The promoters were a couple of cool dudes with very long hair, good people, in fact, if i had hung around with them, some of it might have rubbed off. Anyhow, I was there and this fellow tried to engage me in coversation over the VERY LOUD MUSIC. "What do you do for a living?" He said. I wasn't going to tell him the mundane truth, so I said, "I'm a..." But i was so out of it I suddenly found i had lost the ability to speak coherently. "Am a..a...Wyler," I said.
"A what?" he said. The harder I tried to annunciate the word, the worse my prounciation became. "Woylur. I'm a...rwoylur."

So here is a bit of dialogue from my days as a wroyler, from only published short story (20 year ago).

"Why are you doing that?" She asked.
"I feel like it," I told her. "Now I'm going to have to get it out for you. Shall I get it out?" I asked her.
"Yes, get it out," She whispered. "Please get it out."
I slid my hand down the back of her pants and kept it there.
"Have you got it yet?" She asked. "Please hurry," She said. "Somebody will see."
"I'm trying," I told her. "But it's hard."

Again, hardly enough to base a career on. I should have learned to play the kazoo.

I looked at him across the room as I brought him yet another black coffee. He was slumped over the arm of the sofa, unrecognisable as the person I had known. His hair was a mess and his flesh was pale with a tinge of yellow, he looked so much older now.
I thought back over years, to the time of a hot summers day and a train station. There were only a few people there, it was afternoon and as I lay on the floor my back resting against the wall, my legs stretched out in front of me. I didn't have a care in the world. I had eaten nothing more than a small chocolate bar in the last four days, although I had drunk plenty of water.
I sat there thinking of the scenarios of boarding the train to Paddington, whether there would be a ticket collector, if there was, no matter how I played it out in my mind, there was no solution I could think of. Out of the corner of my eye I saw him approaching, a drink in one hand and a small brown paper bag in the other. He was walking toward where I was and I was curious as to where he was going, I didn't think for long because within a blink of an eye he sat next to me on the floor, in almost the same position I had been sitting in for the last thirty minutes. He looked across and smiled "alright". "Uh uh" I grunted in reply.
He then unwrapped the bag he was holding reached over and offered me half of the sandwich the bag contained "thanks". I ate and as I bit into the bread I rolled the flavour of the cheese over my tongue and I think it was one of the best tastes of my life. He then passed the styrofoam cup with several mouthfuls of coffee, which I drank.
In all this time only a few words had been spoken. He asked me what I was doing and I told him I was getting on the next train to paddington. "You got a ticket?", he asked. Looking at him directly for the first time, I uttered the words "Nope, have you? He smiled, that smile I would come to see so many times "Nope" he said, "Let's go". I guess looking back, neither of us knew where that chance meeting, that unguarded friendship and that train ride, would take us, no one could have known.

Back