When You Least Expect It

Donna T

As I worked on this the shapes kept trying to become recognizable things, as always. It's important for me not to use hard edges too soon because those edges become things in an instant. Once I see those things it's hard to destroy them but if I don't they take over and I lose the sense of abstraction. It's an enjoyable struggle, though. Watercolors, Distress Oxide Inks, Pitt pen and acrylics on watercolor paper. 9x9 in.

IMG_3258pscs.jpg

Yes, interesting and looks thought out in placement of line and forms. Beautiful blues.
Sounds like your intent was to be non-representational

I like this one, Donna. Actually, before I saw that it was one of yours, I thought it was a Pasmore. Those soft rectangles in the middle and the dots are very much like his work.

I particularly like where the white appears to be dissolving into the blue. You have a distinct lightness of touch (tentativeness?) that is appealing. I remembered it from a previous abstract.

I too love where the white appears. This is particularly beautiful and calming. Very well done! It's inspiring. ❤️

Very nice Donna. I have that same problem sometimes.
Flipping it upside down helps once in a while.

Thanks Sno.

Thanks Patrick. I tried to balance everything and not put in too many small shapes.

Wayne, when you least expect it, in rides a woman with blue hair on a horse with blocky legs. I was wondering if anyone else would see her. Another person appeared when it was in a different orientation so I turned it and was surprised when this one appeared. I didn't do anything to enhance her so she can float in and out of view. I'm amazed at how ovals become heads, curves become shoulders and a few random lines become a horse's tail.

Thanks Hermes. I wasn't familiar with Victor Pasmore's work so thanks for pointing it out. He was so good at simplifying shapes.

🔥 🔥 🔥 - Thank you. I was hoping to keep it kind of moody with just the blues. Moody blues, ha.

Thanks so much Iain - I was wondering if my touch is too light as in lack of strength but then I see abstracts I admire where it's just one color dissolving into another with very little structure. It seems that when I put bold lines down the whole mood shifted so I mostly covered them up.

Ayin, I'll take beautiful and calming any day. Thank you.

Thanks Perry. I turn these things upside down and rotate them after almost every addition of paint. I have to in order to have a chance at keeping them abstract. Too many creatures and people appear otherwise!

Thanks classic. I'm glad you find this relaxing and not necessarily depressing because of all the blue.

Thank you Susan. I find it peaceful too and I'm glad that's coming across.

I don’t know much about abstracts but I like this. I’m learning from the comments. Thanks Donna and the rest.

Absolutely beautiful, Donna. Your blues vary so nicely, are so soft and soothing to ponder. I like your lines and shapes. It's dreamlike.

You're getting so good at this! I'm enjoying watching. ❤️

Thanks Ole Kobe and Terri. Ghostly and dreamlike qualities seem to be what I'm after with this kind of work but I didn't know it until you used those words.

I can relate to what you are saying. Sometimes it happens that once you recognize something it is always tempting to accentuate it but this is where you have to choose.
Especially when something appears that you would have to work hard to draw. I find that exciting. A bit like automatic writing or a continual line.
Your other choice is to disregard what appeared by canceling the reference.
That is how I deal with it.
I believe that Wayne told me to work Into it and not on it. 😁😉 I thought that it was good advice.
My two grams…

Last edited:
Thanks classic. I'm glad you find this relaxing and not necessarily depressing because of all the blue.
I think light blue is relaxing. Dark blue is another story. It can be stimulating like what is call "electric blue", or perhaps more stressing in case of very dark blue.

Back