What ROCK Music are you listening to?

Triduana, in an attempt to educate myself I listened to tracks by all of these bands on YouTube. I must say that of the four I prefer Heilung by far and will add some of their music to the USB drive in my car sound system. I was expecting them to be similar to Children of Bodom, but they are quite different in my opinion. I wouldn't be surprised if they were influenced by Philip Glass, but what does an old classical lover know anyway?
I'm glad I introduced you to some new music! Heilung are doing a tour of the UK next year, I've got my ticket already. I've never heard of Children of Bodom before, I've got a long journey tomorrow so I've added them to my playlist 🙂

Martin Grubinger's astonishing talent makes him one of the greatest percussionists in the worlds of Classical and Pop music. This interview, in which he and his conductor are obviously enjoying themselves, should be of interest to everyone who follows this thread of discussion.

Ayin, I did not read this whole thread, but I would love to learn new things about music. The "nitpicker" in me cringes whenever I see the title of the thread. Can you possibly modify the last word to "to" instead of "too'? Thank you!

Kay, I can wait to listen to some of your finds. I love metal and alt music.

Thought this was appropriate to this thread -

Screenshot 2024-07-08 at 11.06.33 AM.png

Oh Joy! Thank you for saying that about the "too". It bothers me every time I see it, but I wasn't brave enough to mention it.

• Love
Reactions: Joy
First of all, I want to apologize for calling classical music boring. That was rude of me and caused a stir. It is of course not at all. I've enjoyed a lot of it. It just so happens that at this point in my life it is not grabbing me. Probably an attention span thing or something. I have a general aversion to anything with "classic" in it, including classic rock. Mostly I think it's because I like novelty over familiarity.

Yeah, I agree Tridauna, Heilung is very interesting to say the least, I have a couple of their works. LIFA is amazing, I have it on vinyl. At first look it's difficult to take them seriously until one looks into their concept. Very unique music. I would love to see them live.

Brian, Penguin Cafe is very cool, a fave, but pretty far from "rock" IMO. :) Neoclassical?

And speaking of Philip Glass, also one of my faves. I have three records and four CDs of his works. Talk about a productive creative genius. And his influence is everywhere now with contemporary classical, like Nico Muhly's works. And Hermes, I suspect that you see the connection of Glass to Heilung because of the repetition. The tribal chanting that mesmerizes. Glass tapped into that also.

Reminds me of a joke.

"Knock knock" "Who's there?" " Philip Glass. " "Knock knock" "Who's there?" " Philip Glass. " "Knock knock" "Who's there?" " Philip Glass. " etc

I'm loving the above musical suggestions. You all rock. I still have to check all of these out. Like art, the amount is overwhelming but searching around in it can really reward. We find the thing that resonates, like that vid that Brian just posted about our "wird" .

Last edited:
Make Me Do Anything You Want by Helix, a Canadian rock band with many hits. This is a cover of the original by A Foot In Cold Water. I like this better than their own songs.

Also, Zappacosta. This guy has a great voice. A shame Canada had many excellent acts they did not promote in the US. he may have got a little more airtime than others. I’m not sure.
He was huge in the 80s. Still performing-well- to appreciative audiences. Sweet approachable man. Here is my favourite. An accoustic piece. His rock is all out 80s sound. That was half the fun!
Start Again

Here are some of his rock hits:
We Should Be Lovers

Nothing Can Stand In Your Way

I Think About You

And an interesting fact, he had a song on the Dirty Dancing soundtrack!
Overload

And wrote and performed the Pizza Nova commercial song. Many Canadians will remember that!

Last edited:
Martha and the Muffins, 1979 hit.
Echo Beach. Oh that intro! In the 80s she evolved her sound to a pop sound and had hits Song In My Head and Black Stations/White Stations.
Echo Beach

And here is a Canadian master I encourage all to check out. Matt Andersen. The best and most heartfelt rendition of Ain’t No Sunshine When She Goes Away. Poured his guts into this cover. He has albums of his own songs.

Back