What ROCK Music are you listening to?

VooDoo Thing ... Crank It

Untitled-1 copy.jpg

Well I like the idea of 2 threads. I’ve posted different genres of music on the other thread in the past but it does seem to have more classical or classy, highbrow music dominating. Being discussed. Much of which I like, but cannot converse on. I may not have to, but it can feel intimidating. Noone is trying to, I know. But it feels like a bad fit. So I like this thread. Rock in a broad sense. Maybe “popular music”. I know a lot of people like classical and jazz, but I’m thinking you know what I mean. Already seeing more response here.
Listening to the Canadian band Chalk in the 80s. So much talent that could rival others, preceded others, but were not promoted into the American market because they would cost too much money. The story of most Canadian talent. Some that were exceptions did very well. They were quite fortunate to have the opportunity. Like Gowan, who is excellent.
Ps. Cannot control the italics yet. Tried to correct but here we are.😋
Here is Chalk

Its summer, so here is Echo Beach by Martha and the Muffins 1980.

Last edited:
I admit that the classification of music into types or genres can be a useful tool, but my preference is to simply call it Music. I think there have been talented composers and performers in the "non-classical" domain whose work will live on for centuries. It is a shame to limit one's enjoyment by not listening to anything with the wrong label. Speaking personally, I have spent many hours listening to all types of music since I was a child. In my teens, I found that many "classical" pieces were way more interesting and exciting than anything I heard on the pop stations. One of the few things I positively disliked, then and now, were attempts to popularize the classics by adding drums and vocals. In all cases I definitely preferred listening to the original pieces. The opposite is also true: I dislike interpretations in a classical style of pop music by orchestras like the London Philharmonic.

Here are two examples of classical works that I enjoy as much as anything by, for example, Pink Floyd or Led Zeppelin.

Ionisation by Edgard Varèse.

Finnish composer Kalevi Aho's composition called Sieidi (Concerto for Percussion and Orchestra).

Before them became famous, Thin Lizzy released one of the greatest guitar solos ever:

Heck yeah...

Very nice, but what's the name of the band? Is it "Atma" or "My Sleeping Karma"? I can't get any information on either anywhere. Well then, I have thus far only checked on Wikipedia. If it ain't in Wikipedia, it doesn't exist. :D

‘it does seem to have more classical or classy, highbrow music dominating…’

This may simply be due to the fact that it is Brian, Hermes, and myself who have posted the most on that thread… and we are all 3 lovers of Classical Music. I remember there being more posts on rock, country, jazz, etc… when Musket was still with us RIP. While I have many more recordings of Classical Music than I do any other genre, this is simply because there is so much more of it… 100s of years worth. In spite of this, I probably listen to non-classical music as much as classical… and almost certainly find myself playing favorites such as The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, Miles Davis, Duke Ellington, Johnny Cash, etc… as much as almost any classical composer (except maybe Bach and Mozart ;)). I won’t be listening to much of my own choice over the next few days while visiting our older daughter and her kids over the 4th of July week/weekend.

ps… I noticed that PaintBoss referred to Classical Music as “highbrow music”. I would point out that this isn’t wholly true. Some classical music was/is certainly “highbrow” in that it is challenging and even demands a lot from the listener. Beethoven’s string quartets fall into this category. But a lot of classical music was simply entertainment… music for dances and parties… even if these were for the wealthy. Opera… in spite of its reputation today… was initially a populist entertainment. A lot of classical music continued to be embraced by the masses when the media… radio, TV, film, etc… continued to play such works. Many classical music lovers first came upon this music in Disney films, Warner Brothers cartoons, etc… Today, film soundtracks seem to be the last bastion of classical music in the mass media.

One might also point out that Jazz, Rock, and other forms of popular music is not without works that might be defined as “highbrow”.

I know. I appreciate all that. I enjoy classical music myself. Jazz, A variety. I took classical piano for 7 years. I think you are quite right that it feels imposing because the most active posters are obviously having a very fun time sharing their deep knowledge of the subject. So it is the flavour of the thread. Not a criticism. Noone is at fault of anything. That seems to have the most life in that thread. Cool. And not only can a popular music comment seem silly, but goes unremarked on. So it feels like it is in the wrong place to post. That is not a slight on the people posting there. Or on what they are posting. Just feels lost and a mismatch. Already on this rock thread it is getting more life and response and it feels like the appropriate place to be.

Last edited:
"I admit that the classification of music into types or genres can be a useful tool, but my preference is to simply call it Music."
I agree with @Hermes2020 . There are too many discussions / debates about genres of music out there, when we could just be listening to it instead. :)

I like the idea of this thread, I admit I feel like I'm in my own little corner in the other one (rock / metal and the like are my happy place) so I don't really post there very often. I like a bit of classical, but I can't listen to it if I'm doing something (I went through a phase of listening to it when I was stuck in traffic jams). I don't really care about genres though, there's music I like, and music I don't.

This week has included:

Faith No More: The Real Thing (still one of my favourites)
Faith No More - The Real Thing (CD)

Heilung: Drif (for my experimental Nordic folk fix - love these guys)
Drif - Heilung | Season of Mist

My current soundtrack for the gym: Prong - State of Emergency (a good bit of thrash metal)
Prong - State of Emergency Review | Angry Metal Guy

Hair of El Perro: just discovered today. It's a groovy kind of rock music.
El Perro - Hair Of [LP]

People complain that classical music is too complicated, too much terminology, too many sub-genres and so on. But it's really simple compared to the broad spectrum of popular music. Go to Wikipedia and check out something like, say, rock music. And then you have punk rock. And punk fusion, and fusion rock, and post-punk fusion. And Kraut rock, and post-punk fusion gothic semi-heavy metal garage hillbilly rock. And so on and on and on and on (okay, I slightly exaggerate, but only slightly).

If you think it' difficult to "get into" classical music, you'll have a nightmare trying to make sense of popular music - the fans take it really seriously, and there are more rock and pop genres than there are genders in San Francisco.

Jeez folks, I just want to find something nice to listen to. :D
Hey Brian, I was wondering why you directed this post at me? I never said anything derogatory about classical music. I like a good amount of it. I don't think it's too "complicated." I have never considered it "difficult" to get into either. I've been listening to it since I was a younger teen.

I was only suggesting that we have a conversation about genre instead of arguing over it. I was directing my original post at Steven, St. Luke, and John if anyone, and I wasn't even trying to berate anyone. Not at all.

Personally, I haven't posted in the other thread much--not because it's mostly classical (although that's part of it)--but because I don't often listen to music anymore. It's a sad affair, and is attached to a long (also sad) story of being a professional musician for half of my life. It's deep-seated. So much so, my long-time therapist still hasn't been able to address it with me. I've only been listening to music again for the last decade, and I tend to listen to stuff I'm already familiar with. Then, I'll listen to those albums over and over for long periods of time until I'm "ready" to change to something else. This is embarrassing to admit to. It's embarrassing because I have/had a vast technical knowledge of music, and now it seems it's gone to waste.

I also very much miss Musket. Our private emails meant a lot to me, as we spoke a lot about music. It was healing for me.

Arty… I don’t think there is anything wrong with sticking with what you know and enjoy. A vast majority of the latest thing in any artistic form is little more than a novelty that will soon fade. I also remember someone pointing out that Dante, Virgil, Shakespeare, and other great writers likely knew only 100 books or so while I literally own thousands. The same was true of artists. Michelangelo knew next to nothing of any art happening outside of Tuscany… Florence & Rome. Rather than forever seeking out the latest thing, they dug deeper and deeper into what they knew. I know that a decade ago I was collecting all the music I could… now the majority of my time is spent with my favorites. If I seek out anything new it tends to be alternative versions of favorite works… especially with classical music I will listen to versions by different conductors/performers. When we finally get settled into our own home again I know I will likely box up a good many of my thousands of books keeping only those I turn to again and again out on shelves.

Hey Brian, I was wondering why you directed this post at me? I never said anything derogatory about classical music. I like a good amount of it. I don't think it's too "complicated." I have never considered it "difficult" to get into either. I've been listening to it since I was a younger teen.

I was only suggesting that we have a conversation about genre instead of arguing over it. I was directing my original post at Steven, St. Luke, and John if anyone, and I wasn't even trying to berate anyone. Not at all.

Oh, not to worry. My posts here are mostly in lighter vein, and not to be taken too seriously.

Personally, I haven't posted in the other thread much--not because it's mostly classical (although that's part of it)--but because I don't often listen to music anymore. It's a sad affair, and is attached to a long (also sad) story of being a professional musician for half of my life. It's deep-seated. So much so, my long-time therapist still hasn't been able to address it with me. I've only been listening to music again for the last decade, and I tend to listen to stuff I'm already familiar with. Then, I'll listen to those albums over and over for long periods of time until I'm "ready" to change to something else. This is embarrassing to admit to. It's embarrassing because I have/had a vast technical knowledge of music, and now it seems it's gone to waste.

I also very much miss Musket. Our private emails meant a lot to me, as we spoke a lot about music. It was healing for me.
I cannot find the proper emoji to respond to this. I wanted to give you a hug. It does make sense to me and it’s also sad. All that music knowledge.. I wish I understood it. It’s all not lost yet. Don’t worry, you don’t know all ends. It ain’t over till it’s over. Younever know how music might pop up again or quietly become more prominent in your life. Usually things like that find its way to complete itself in a full circle in your life.

"I admit that the classification of music into types or genres can be a useful tool, but my preference is to simply call it Music."
I agree with @Hermes2020 . There are too many discussions / debates about genres of music out there, when we could just be listening to it instead. :)

I like the idea of this thread, I admit I feel like I'm in my own little corner in the other one (rock / metal and the like are my happy place) so I don't really post there very often. I like a bit of classical, but I can't listen to it if I'm doing something (I went through a phase of listening to it when I was stuck in traffic jams). I don't really care about genres though, there's music I like, and music I don't.

This week has included:

Faith No More: The Real Thing (still one of my favourites)
Faith No More - The Real Thing (CD)

Heilung: Drif (for my experimental Nordic folk fix - love these guys)
Drif - Heilung | Season of Mist

My current soundtrack for the gym: Prong - State of Emergency (a good bit of thrash metal)
Prong - State of Emergency Review | Angry Metal Guy

Hair of El Perro: just discovered today. It's a groovy kind of rock music.
El Perro - Hair Of [LP]
Triduana, in an attempt to educate myself I listened to tracks by all of these bands on YouTube. I must say that of the four I prefer Heilung by far and will add some of their music to the USB drive in my car sound system. I was expecting them to be similar to Children of Bodom, but they are quite different in my opinion. I wouldn't be surprised if they were influenced by Philip Glass, but what does an old classical lover know anyway?

Back