What do you strive/try for in your art?

Arty...this thing about “connection” is something that’s been swirling around my mind lately. I think it would make such a juicy topic for a painting, but I’ll have to work my way through it and around it until some kind of coherent idea “gels.” Connections are everywhere but how do we paint them??

Like...I just finished rereading a book called “Collections of Nothing” and the author said collecting was a kind of connection. I guess when you think about it...and I never have before...okay. And so now I want to think more about that. It was enough of a spark to inspire me toward my next paintings.

And...you know how they say we all have a “soundtrack of our lives” and there are certain musicians that we continue to carry along with us as we get older? Well, Talking Heads was one of those groups for me and so I just HAD TO watch “American Utopia,” the David Byrne musical now playing on HBO. I’d absolutely recommend this to anybody who can find it because it was totally...joyous. I think the whole theme of the show was how “we animals” like to connect to others, how we like watching others, or looking into each other’s faces, and how much time we spend wondering about other’s lives. And of course, and not least of all, how music connects us.

As they note...UTOPIA BEGINS WITH YOU

I’m still just trying to get better. I feel like I have alot of the basics down and i’m just trying to figure out what works best for me to get what I want on the canvas.

Olive, your connection ideas make me think of paintings of switchboards... Or is that too obvious and literal?

Maybe for me, that's too literal. I'd have to tie in some human element, I think. I just remembered that back in 2013 I did a painting (actually called "Connections!"). I had seen a photo of a group of immigrants who were sleeping on the deck of a boat. The picture was taken from above so it appeared "ripe" for a 2D depiction. They were all entangled in an assortment of ways but "held" together by dirty blankets. It was a clash of patterns and folds and limbs. That was the visual, painterly part. But the emotional part was me imagining what their journey/experience might have been.

Ultimately, I didn't have the skills to do the idea (or photo) justice.
It was completed but later, trashed.

So you know...more along THOSE kind of connections.

Arty, having read your blog I am amazed at how open you are and also cos I've been reading it you've given me a sense of why you paint and what you paint and its a very cohesive whole, so thankyou:)

Wow, thank you laf. That means a whole lot to me. I sometimes feel like I'm being all too self-revealing on my blog, probably because I'm not thinking that anyone is reading it! Ha ha! :LOL:

Yep I feel the same, but I had someone on an art forum tell me that they really liked reading it which was a really nice surprise even if she was the only person it was good to hear. :)

I recently moved and am still working at finding! And getting paints out/put where they may go.
I have a lot to re-learn re oils, it’s been such a long time it seems. They’re my first love, but I don’t know if I’ll be able to continue with them due to my health. Was just thinking, cleanup after using a knife isn’t as difficult.
If not, then it’s on to watercolor/gouache, maybe drawing...
I’ve done a couple of watercolors still to be posted. Right now, everything is in the air...

How do you do clean-up for oils ntl? Do you use a Silicoil jar to keep the turp enclosed? I use it and use Turenoid Natural which is not so toxic. It lasts about a year in that jar.

I don’t use solvents, only walnut oil. It’s taking the brushes and washing them, too. No, I didn’t do it every day, but enough that it’s still a challenge.

Back