What colour is it really?

These visual effects which seem to be surprising, and somewhat profound, and difficult to understand, can ALL be resolved by painting with the old adage, "Paint what you see!" When one paints precisely the colors at which you are looking, those color mixes that seem so unusual, and unbelievable all come "out in the wash", if one merely paints that which one sees.

The reason, of course, is that all the visual aberrations, optical illusions, and value surprises are automatically dealt with quickly, and accurately when one simply applies the "Paint what you see", principle, in terms of mixing colors, and applying them.

In the case of the strawberries, this is profoundly simple, and no† confusing, whatsoever. In the case of the checkered cylinder, it appears as though it is an illustrator, simply "making up" an image from imagination, and to get those squares to appear to be believable, and plausible may be a bit more difficult, I'll admit.

These visual effects which seem to be surprising, and somewhat profound, and difficult to understand, can ALL be resolved by painting with the old adage, "Paint what you see!" When one paints precisely the colors at which you are looking, those color mixes that seem so unusual, and unbelievable all come "out in the wash", if one merely paints that which one sees.

The reason, of course, is that all the visual aberrations, optical illusions, and value surprises are automatically dealt with quickly, and accurately when one simply applies the "Paint what you see", principle, in terms of mixing colors, and applying them.

In the case of the strawberries, this is profoundly simple, and no† confusing, whatsoever. In the case of the checkered cylinder, it appears as though it is an illustrator, simply "making up" an image from imagination, and to get those squares to appear to be believable, and plausible may be a bit more difficult, I'll admit.
Hi WFMartin, well said. The strawberries and the shoes show just how much our brains compensate. In a way it gives me more freedom to do as you say "paint wat you see". Some artists seem to see more colours than I, and thats OK - but often when I am working with pastels, what seems a wrong choise usually works in the total picture. Ahh - so much to explore !

Some many years ago I was depicting a hot air balloon. I was as I always do, just making it up. Half the balloon was to be a bright cadmium red. I knew the colour straight out of the tube was going to be too bright so dulled it down a little. Lifted my brush to the spot... no that's going to be too bright. Dull it down further.....no still too bright. Repeat three or more times.

Looked down at the palette...gosh that's so brown. Quickly took out a certain red iron oxide, mixed in some lead white. Same dull muddy colour, but lifted to the painting a bright red balloon. Of course, I'm used to this effect now, but it still makes me smile.

Some many years ago I was depicting a hot air balloon. I was as I always do, just making it up. Half the balloon was to be a bright cadmium red. I knew the colour straight out of the tube was going to be too bright so dulled it down a little. Lifted my brush to the spot... no that's going to be too bright. Dull it down further.....no still too bright. Repeat three or more times.

Looked down at the palette...gosh that's so brown. Quickly took out a certain red iron oxide, mixed in some lead white. Same dull muddy colour, but lifted to the painting a bright red balloon. Of course, I'm used to this effect now, but it still makes me smile.
Any demo? sound intresting.

No. But basically the same effect as the youtube video. Your brain tells you what the colour of the actual object is, but your eye actually sees a different colour, or at least a very different version of it. This muted paint on the palette isn't what you 'know' the object to be, but if you take this wet paint and place it on the picture where you've depicted this in some degree of a realistic manner. Suddenly it snaps back in the brain as being the bright colour you know the object to be. Because that's how (if you've done it right) the object looks in real life within those circumstances of light and distance.

No. But basically the same effect as the youtube video. Your brain tells you what the colour of the actual object is, but your eye actually sees a different colour, or at least a very different version of it. This muted paint on the palette isn't what you 'know' the object to be, but if you take this wet paint and place it on the picture where you've depicted this in some degree of a realistic manner. Suddenly it snaps back in the brain as being the bright colour you know the object to be. Because that's how (if you've done it right) the object looks in real life within those circumstances of light and distance.
Welcome to the forums Marc. :)

Back