What are you working on?

And another small painting...

22-53 R34, Free State Acrylics on board 15 x 20 cm.JPG

R34, Free State. Acrylics on board, 15 x 22 cm.

Another Google street view reference. As often, the Google cam is too high so that one looks down onto the landscape. I tried to reimagine the view form a bit lower down, but not sure it really quite worked. :)

Had a dream I was in the clouds, dark stormy and russet. The swirling winds and murkiness had a great deep groaning contrasted with a high wail. I descended with dizzy speed through them and came upon a huge mass of flailing nude figures crying and screaming. A sea of people on a very large disk. At the edges of this, the figures peered downwards and screamed. They were not on the ground, but hovering at some distance above it. Seeing only massive monoliths of dark stone, I flew past the edge, having no apparent form myself. A large white orb above a tangle of bleached moving columns came into view under the the disk. No! no! not a disk! A vast woven basket. Carried by a massive giant of a figure. Its dried parchment of skin stretched tightly over its long fleshless skeleton. Death himself.

A rattling voice: ........."Not yet; but you too will travel with me."

So I woke up. (funny that.💀) and sketched this down with umber on a small canvas.

dreams of-death.JPG

Well folks, my painting got an honorable mention! Holy ...... ! what? Pinch me.

I'm not sure I would ever have gotten to this point without the support of you guys, and that other site where many of you guys were. Especially "Arty" with her tireless encouragement. Thanks Ayin. The support and the place to be able to show to good folks that care about art has been priceless. Thank you admin, and mods, and members all.

But I didn't get the grand prize and that isn't acceptable. You all will have to try harder. :)

Actually the grand prize went to a video installation of bees working. The second to a large monotone diptych of a large glacial erratic rock. And third to a very skillfully beautiful photorealist painted oil portrait of the artist holding a vulture.

Another honorable mention went for two puppets/sculptures. Pollock and his wife Krasner. They wore clothes with their signature painting styles on them. Being that this show was about the east end of Long Island where they lived it was perfect and very amusing.

I later asked the judge if he had any advice for me, and he said not to take anyone's advice.

And, a rare thing for me, I got through the night without having freeze-up social anxiety and saying something that I later regret saying. Progress.

Well folks, my painting got an honorable mention! Holy ...... ! what? Pinch me.

I'm not sure I would ever have gotten to this point without the support of you guys, and that other site where many of you guys were. Especially "Arty" with her tireless encouragement. Thanks Ayin. The support and the place to be able to show to good folks that care about art has been priceless. Thank you admin, and mods, and members all.

But I didn't get the grand prize and that isn't acceptable. You all will have to try harder. :)

Actually the grand prize went to a video installation of bees working. The second to a large monotone diptych of a large glacial erratic rock. And third to a very skillfully beautiful photorealist painted oil portrait of the artist holding a vulture.

Another honorable mention went for two puppets/sculptures. Pollock and his wife Krasner. They wore clothes with their signature painting styles on them. Being that this show was about the east end of Long Island where they lived it was perfect and very amusing.

I later asked the judge if he had any advice for me, and he said not to take anyone's advice.

And, a rare thing for me, I got through the night without having freeze-up social anxiety and saying something that I later regret saying. Progress.
John, maybe I missed something but can you show the painting that got the honorable mention ? Congratulations John !!!

John!!!! That is such fantastical newsy news! Hurray and Yay!!! I am so happy for you and next time you will win the grand prize, but you know you can never control other people's tastes with these things. However, I really hope this gives you the confidence you need to keep moving forward with your keen gut instinct, which is proving to be an excellent source of direction for you. I am really glad this has happened for you. HUGE congratulations!!! ♥️

I'm not sure I would ever have gotten to this point without the support of you guys, and that other site where many of you guys were. Especially "Arty" with her tireless encouragement. Thanks Ayin.
And you're welcome! My easy pleasure.

...I didn't want to correct you in the same post as my contrats to you, but just an FYI, I'm not a "her." I'm a "they/them." That's just for future reference. ;)

John, maybe I missed something but can you show the painting that got the honorable mention ? Congratulations John !!!
BIG congratulations, John! :) Great news! And I agree with Erik here - can you remind us of which painting you submitted?

I am frequently doing natural artwork. I can't realy show you a picture of it because i dont take photoes nor videos.
I am trying to get sometimes ideas for reality artwork or for videogame artwork occasionally derived from natural formations such as my hair when it falls when i cut my hair with care of harmony, and also from bubbles.
My imagination is pretty good at times when there are more things associating together having enough data, i have some synesthesia as well. I observed on the microexpression of some ninja artists and a few others that they try to move according to some good meshwork pattern artwork (which has feelings as well [so it has a feel of dynamics associated with it).
However after some inventions i have stumbled into more and more inhibitions of thought (when considering imagining some artistic compositions).
EDIT: I have also imagined various artwork by trying to drive my hallucinations through looking at variety image in composition of type which i would like (such as food).
my greatest piece so far was after touching my left forearm skin and reading off a flow sense and pouring a perfect owl (i mean, without much moving around with the flowing beverage)

Last edited:
I've been gone from Creative Spark for a number of months now. I have been overwhelmed with work and a good number of other things. Sadly, two of my former studio partners and close friends passed away over the past 5 months. I am still working in a very limited space in the corner of my office so art on the scale of what I have been producing over the last 15 years is impossible. Honestly, the stress of multiple moves and multiple deaths among friends and family resulted in my not having produced anything for nearly a year. Over the last couple of months, I have been taking a college course as part of the requirements for renewing my teaching license... but I honestly chose to take an independent art course in order to force myself back to the literal drawing board. I have been working on a series of small... for me (19.5x25.5") imaginary portraits.

EveI.800.jpg

As with my earlier larger work, all of these painting/drawings are mixed-media (pastel, acrylic paint, colored pencils, and gold leaf. The above painting is entitled, "Eve I" and the one immediately below in "Eve II".

Eve II.jpg

This third painting/drawing is entitled "Magdalena".

Magdalena I.jpg

Magdalena details.jpg

While none of these are as complex or sophisticated (?) as the bigger paintings, at least I have my hand into creating Art once again. "Magdalena" was also a real learning experience in that I found that I very much disliked the lighter tonality of the paper I used (a warm peach) as opposed to the darker papers which allow me to build up from the darks to the light with the pastel.

I've been gone from Creative Spark for a number of months now. I have been overwhelmed with work and a good number of other things. Sadly, two of my former studio partners and close friends passed away over the past 5 months. I am still working in a very limited space in the corner of my office so art on the scale of what I have been producing over the last 15 years is impossible. Honestly, the stress of multiple moves and multiple deaths among friends and family resulted in my not having produced anything for nearly a year.....
Sorry to hear that and I can empathize. I've had so many losses over the past few years I look forward to every new year now with a kind of dread. Still, I'm determined to find joy and beauty. I think I live now for the day and eternity. If that makes any sense.

SLG, I'm so sorry for your losses. I understand how you've been feeling as well, having gone through a lot of the same things myself. It's really not easy but I'm glad you are getting back into your work in this way, even though it's small. It's still fantastic. I'm especially drawn to Magdalena. Very much so. Something about it feels different and fresh to me. Well done. I hope you can keep keeping your head above water. ♥️

It's good to see you posting again, SLG, though I am sorry to learn of your recent losses. ❤️ Your work, however you may think of it, is still excellent and I like what I see, especially with the textures. I hope you find yourself inspired enough to continue to do these smaller pieces.

Stay well.

Thanks Erik, sure, this was it. Not the best photo. Typical over sharpened and hyped up cell phone pic. The painting had gone out before I got the good camera setup.

16x20 acrylic and oil. Many layers down on the canvas is a minimalist abstract. It went through a long evolution with more and more stuff added.

The gallery director told me it's getting a lot of attention. Partly because it's so different than anything else there. They are giving me their space at a food/craft market in January and she asked if I had more like this. I don't. :)

A Peconic Dream
1670863721614.jpeg

Back