What are you working on?

Love this Brian! :) The textures are lux.
Oh yeah...thank you Iain. I wasn't sure if you were looking forward to seeing the prep for my show next year, or my open studios thing. I've been working hard on trying to get my garage ready, but I think it still looks just awful. I mean...it's a garage after all, not an art space, and this bothers me to no end.

Organizing the mess has been one thing; figuring out how to place art is another, since I have no wall space. I am not using the side of the garage with the door that leads into the house (by the flat files). I'm only using the little hallway on my art storage side where the HVAC is, and the very front of the garage (when the big door will be open to the street). ...Does that makes sense? I'm blocking access to this other side in these first two pictures, but am going to organize it at least. People will still be able to see back there, but a table will block them from walking through it.

I don't know if I showed these pictures of what I've been dealing with, but here's what I stared with. And this is after six hours of trying to put things away, etc.:

View attachment 10153

View attachment 10154

This is the side of the garage I'm using for my guests. One side will have some art hanging on shelves and the other side I'll have access to all the art that is still wrapped. This was still day one:

View attachment 10155

Anyway, that was ten days ago. I've been in there most days trying to make it acceptable and "welcoming" for people to visit and look at art, but I just don't know. It's no Taj mahal.

Here's what I did today--pinned drawings and prints to the wall (inexpensive stuff). I'm using my giant drum case to display smaller paintings on easels, as well as some Artist's books, hoping that will be interesting. It's a hodge-podge of everything...

View attachment 10156

As I said, I need access to this side of this little hall space, so I put down a couple of rugs. Is that more cozy?

View attachment 10158

I'm hanging bigger work on hooks from the rack shelves opposite my storage shelves in hopes I can hide all the household storage junk. It still looks funky as all hell. And you can still see all the duct work from the HVAC. There' no way to really cover that up except putting a couple of big paintings on easels in front of it. I only have so many easels and no really large paintings here right now. I guess I can lug my big easel in from my studio out there and put another 36 x 36-inch piece on it. Ugg! But at least you can get the idea of what I'm trying to do here, right?

View attachment 10157

Is it as awful as I think? Acceptable? I will also have portfolio books of works on paper on a couple of card tables close to the front of the entrance. People can flip through them.

I do not have any prices posted as of yet...should I tag everything with a price you think?

Here is the website for the event, which has not yet been fully updated: Hwy62ArtTours.

Sorry this was so stinkin' long! I guess I'm nervous.
I wish I could travel that way and see all these artists’ work. What a fun idea.

I've been making these quick little cartoon washes of Joshua Trees on book pages for the open studios event, then going over them with ink pen. I've made almost 10 of them on 10 x 7-inch pages from an old hummingbird book. I figure I can sell them for cheap.

joshuatreeonbookpage72.jpg

Thanks PSA. Since I can do a lot of them, it might be a good idea (easy). People are definitely looking for things with Joshua Trees on them.

I have a real bad habit of painting to the edge and it makes for a very hard framing job. :( I try not to do it, but I can't help it. My work, a lot of times, needs to be floated, not matted.

Very nice work!

Just still working on mixed media in a junk journal, a vintage novel done in 1950, the year my parents married LOL.

I'm making some progress on the garage. What do you think? And this is the side that's being blocked off. It's just going to be within eye-shot, so I wanted it to be organized.

day19-b.jpg

day19.jpg

Now I have to start working on the side where most all the art will be.

EDIT: For those of you that are coming in late, I'm trying to prep my garage for an open studios/art walk event.

I'm making some progress on the garage. What do you think? And this is the side that's being blocked off. It's just going to be within eye-shot, so I wanted it to be organized.

View attachment 10244

View attachment 10245

Now I have to start working on the side where most all the art will be.

EDIT: For those of you that are coming in late, I'm trying to prep my garage for an open studios/art walk event.
Looks great!

Back