What are you working on?

I haven't done any scratchboard in a while and I have these boards just sitting here so thought I would get started on one. It is something I can lay down and pick up later, like pencil work. I first put the sketch on the board in chalk, then scratch enough little lines to "hold" it on the board, but that will be easy to cover up if they are in the wrong place. Then I dust the chalk off with a soft paint brush and leave only the little scratches. I am now at the point that I am basically scratching the whole thing in with no thought of highlights and shadows. Later, I will scratch bolder highlights and if need be fill back in where needed with black felt pen. Anyway, this is where I am now.
Kittywip1.jpg

Wow that is stunning already, Sno! I always wondered how scratchboard was done so thanks for explaining it.

Wow that is stunning already, Sno! I always wondered how scratchboard was done so thanks for explaining it.
Donna, the board is coated with white clay and then covered with black ink and the image is achieved by scratching off the ink to show the white clay. And thank you, but a long way to go yet. :giggle:

Thank you for the scratchboard explanation, Sno! How fascinating - you apparently have this technique nailed, because this is gorgeous! I can't wait to see how you finish it.

Incredible sno!!! You've always been great at this! I STILL have one of these that I've never tried.
Thanks, Ayin. You need to go ahead and give it a try. Turn your sketch or photo into black and white and scratch the lighter parts. Start with something simple and you'll be surprised at how it builds as you work. :giggle:

Thanks, Bongo and Marc, and Marc, I love your sailor. Very interesting perspective in this painting. ❤️

Marc, it’s plain to see you’ve been sailing. Nice piece. Only been out a few times but do remember that angle. A little jarring first time as it was unexpected.

Still working on a few things at once. I think it's overwhelming me a little. Not too much, but it does interrupt focus. More than that is waiting for some of the oil paint to dry in certain areas before I can continue on the rest of certain pieces and even out crooked lines. When that happens, I go on to something else, or back to those little embroidery pieces.

The big one has been bugging me because I feel like the sleeve patterns look a little crooked, but I can't move those. I can fix it with paint, though. I just haven't figured out how yet. I need to wait for that dark blue area to dry now before I can proceed with the left side of the painting at all.

bullet472.jpg

So, I worked on two small ones for a bit. This top one is almost a copy of an older painting of mine. Not quite a copy, but close:

gimmel372.jpg

small-abstract172.jpg

And then, I don't even know if I even want to show this one... Am I keeping it? Is it finished? Will I change it? Will I toss it? Was it what I was going for? I have no idea yet. But this is what I go through most of the time with my art:

king2x.jpg

Ayin, dazed an’ confused is what I see in the portrait. Maybe you should turn it into a self portrait and then you will be armed with what you need to continue or leave it as is. I actually like it as is.

Back