What are you up to?

In Punxsutawney they have Phil the groundhog to predict when spring is coming. Here we have the weaver birds: when they start weaving, spring cannot be far off, or so they claim:

DSC_5909.JPG

DSC_5914.JPG

DSC_5915.JPG

Early in the process:

DSC_5916.JPG

That's a wonderful nest!

I was working outside most of the week, doing some botanical surveys. I got totally soaked. I really want to sketch more flowers but it was just too rainy. Here's Grass of Parnassus (one of my favourites), a pansy and some sheep's sorrel, which has one of the best leaves ever.

20230801_160246.jpg

20230801_145937.jpg

20230802_131950.jpg

Visitors to the garden:

DSC_5931.JPG

Black-eyed bulbul

DSC_5944.JPG

Type of lizard known as a skink, which, if it is not careful, will get eaten by:

DSC_5958.JPG

Burchell's coucal

DSC_5960.JPG

They are often heard around here, but are elusive and seldom seen, so I was lucky to have one pose on the roof!

Love these shots, Brian. We had skinks in Texas, I saw several there and never anywhere else I've lived. I'm guessing they like it hot! :)

A few weeks ago, I was shooting pics of the various butterflies that were visiting my newly installed pollinator garden. I mentioned to a friend that I was watching one of them fluttering around my potted herbs - namely, the parsley, and she said to be on the lookout for little black swallowtail caterpillars. Parsley is one of their favorite host plants, apparently.

A week or so later, I saw these little buggers:

20230729_132032.jpg

...who have now eaten their way through that plant, so I've added a new one and installed a netting so they don't get eaten.

They now look like this:

20230802_162817.jpg

And, I added some stakes under the netting to keep it off the plants. Hopefully, they'll be happy enough in there to make their chrysalises soon, and I'll be able to see the new black swallowtails hatching out, or whatever it is they do. :LOL:

Stay tuned!

Hi. Took Otto for a drive and Hub for a walk at the volcanoes where “Mother Earth meets Father Sky.” As the Natives say. Here, Ms. Fatso is approaching “JA” which is the babiest of the bunch.
F793162F-97A1-4644-B83D-30CCC31B97BB.jpeg

Why it’s called that, I don’t know but the next one over is bigger and called “Black” and the one next to that is even bigger and called “Vulcan.” And so those are the “Three Sisters” which is weird because there are actually five of them. Two of them are so small, they don’t even warrant a name. Most activity was roughly 75,000 years ago, and the last “fissure eruption” was about 2,200 years ago. Although that might seem old, they’re still considered young volcanoes. They’re still hot!

Speaking of being hot…while the temp this morning was only in the 70’s at 8:30 am (in this picture), the sun is still intense enough that we ended up pretty sweaty. (I prefer not to sweat, thank you.) We were just meandering at a nice and leisurely way for about 2 miles and that’s about as far as I’ll ever walk. Because after that, my level of crankiness and whining kicks in because I’m elderly. And must rest.

Hi. Took Otto for a drive and Hub for a walk at the volcanoes where “Mother Earth meets Father Sky.” As the Natives say. Here, Ms. Fatso is approaching “JA” which is the babiest of the bunch.
View attachment 33160
Why it’s called that, I don’t know but the next one over is bigger and called “Black” and the one next to that is even bigger and called “Vulcan.” And so those are the “Three Sisters” which is weird because there are actually five of them. Two of them are so small, they don’t even warrant a name. Most activity was roughly 75,000 years ago, and the last “fissure eruption” was about 2,200 years ago. Although that might seem old, they’re still considered young volcanoes. They’re still hot!

Speaking of being hot…while the temp this morning was only in the 70’s at 8:30 am (in this picture), the sun is still intense enough that we ended up pretty sweaty. (I prefer not to sweat, thank you.) We were just meandering at a nice and leisurely way for about 2 miles and that’s about as far as I’ll ever walk. Because after that, my level of crankiness and whining kicks in because I’m elderly. And must rest.
Beautiful image Kim. Love this!!! ♥️

And where is this? New Mexico? Arizona? Australia? I can't recognize particular bits of desert on sight. :cool:

Looks quite spectacular anyway.

Haha. You’re not keeping up with the thoughts in my head, Brian. It’s New Mexico, part of the Petroglyph National Monument (although this part doesn’t have any petroglyphs). It’s a few miles from my boring suburban house, on a mesa and the Rio Grande Volcanic rift, all inside a city called Albuquerque. You can see it (all these precise words) spread out before you when you get up toward the ridge there. And so now that you know, come visit!

Haha. You’re not keeping up with the thoughts in my head, Brian. It’s New Mexico, part of the Petroglyph National Monument (although this part doesn’t have any petroglyphs). It’s a few miles from my boring suburban house, on a mesa and the Rio Grande Volcanic rift, all inside a city called Albuquerque.

Judged by photos and video I have seen, (and of course movies shot there), New Mexico is absolutely spectacular.
You can see it (all these precise words) spread out before you when you get up toward the ridge there. And so now that you know, come visit!

Soon as I am rich and famous (which is of course only a question of time).

At present, my most advanced traveling vehicle is a borrowed bicycle. :D

View attachment 33160

Wonderful shot! :)

Another stroll around my local nature area:

Blesbok, trusting me about as far as it can throw me:

DSC_5990.JPG

DSC_5992.JPG

Cape glossy starling:

DSC_6000.JPG

Common waxbill:

DSC_6001.JPG

Another blesbok:

DSC_6025.JPG

Lichens, nature's answer to Jackson Pollock: