What Are You Listening To?

Free Bird was an absolute standard at student parties in Manchester when I was there -- though it was the punk era at the time so I obviously went to all the wrong parties.

Crosby, Stills & Nash (and Young). Suite: Judy Blue Eyes, Marakesh Express, Southern Cross...

depositphotos_71767999-stock-illustration-crux-constellation.jpg

Southern Cross constellation.

Last edited:
I don't listen to much nowadays, but occasionally a song will do something to me and I will have to play it again and again. Babe, I'm gonna leave you, being one such recently.

Being in a band and having the audience yell out for us to play that song time and time again...it got pretty annoying.

Free Bird was an absolute standard at student parties in Manchester when I was there -- though it was the punk era at the time so I obviously went to all the wrong parties.
Hilarious! I thought that was a regional thing (SE US), but it must of been really widespread! Thing is, It got to where nobody really expected to hear it - it became sort of ritualized; no night out was complete without the obligatory request for Free Bird :ROFLMAO:

I remember a guy on stage giving the middle finger, stepping to the mic, and saying, "I've got your free bird right here! Free bird for one and all. "

Hilarious! I thought that was a regional thing (SE US), but it must of been really widespread! Thing is, It got to where nobody really expected to hear it - it became sort of ritualized; no night out was complete without the obligatory request for Free Bird :ROFLMAO:

I remember a guy on stage giving the middle finger, stepping to the mic, and saying, "I've got your free bird right here! Free bird for one and all. "
Back in the late 1980s, Kevin Matthews was a wacky Chicago DJ who started the whole craze of getting people to yell "Free Bird." It was originally meant to be shouted as a joke at really bad cover bands who played in bars. It soon took on a life of its own and it was yelled by drunken idiots at concerts all over the country.

Back in the late 1980s, Kevin Matthews was a wacky Chicago DJ who started the whole craze of getting people to yell "Free Bird." It was originally meant to be shouted as a joke at really bad cover bands who played in bars. It soon took on a life of its own and it was yelled by drunken idiots at concerts all over the country.
And it worked! :LOL:

My band wasn't even a cover band, and they still yelled it out. They were always the drunk ones.
Absolutely! I can still hear it in my head! I have some musician friends who were definitely not cover bands, either, but towards the end of the set - some idiot in the back:

"FREE BIIIIIIIIIRRRRRRDDDD!!!!!"

They never did. :ROFLMAO:

Played gigs for decades and whenever asked 'Do you play 'Freebird' ..I would reply
'Oh yes, but we only play it on Wednesday nights. ' 'it's Saturday'.
'We can do Bohemien Rhapsody in Reggae tonight if you want?'
....cue frowning punter....

Psychedelic music always gets my creative energies moving. I discovered this album back in the mid-1980s and to my ears, it's still the best.

Cool, I never heard of eleventh floor elevators. Obscure for sure because I know a lot of that stuff.

Instrumental psychedelia....Ozric Tentacles. More obscure than they should be. These guys could play.

Back