What Are You Listening To?

Been listening to Holly Herndon. Challenging, but the most interesting music I have heard in a long time. Nothing else like it. She melds folk choral arrangements with computer programmed music so it sounds ancient and familiar and strange and new at the same time.

Holly Herndon (born 1980) is an American composer, musician, and sound artist[1] based in Berlin, Germany.[2][3][4] After studying composition at Stanford University[5] and completing her Ph.D. at Stanford University's Center for Computer Research in Music and Acoustics,[6] she pursued a music career internationally. Herndon's music often includes human singing voices (including her own), is primarily computer-based, and regularly uses the visual programming language Max/MSP to create custom instruments and vocal processes.[3][7]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holly_Herndon

This album always puts a smile on my face. It's not as abstract as Trout Mask Replica but it's heading in that direction.

100_8047.JPG

550x551.jpg

We are finally out of the long-term hotel and settled into a house 5 minutes from my job. We're renting the upstairs of a house from a friend. The upstairs was abandoned after her father died and she can use the extra income from the rent... which is far less than what we were paying for the long-term hotel we were in. We have far more room: 2 bedrooms, living room/dining room, kitchen, bathroom, garage, basement, and fenced-in back yard for the dogs. I even have room to do some artwork again. We've been pulling some of our crap out of storage, including a good number of books and CDs. I haven't heard this one for some time.

Miles Davis ranks alongside Duke Ellington and Louis Armstrong as one of the most innovative and central figures of Jazz. Davis reimagined the possibilities of Jazz any number of times. Bitches Brew pointed the way toward "Free Jazz" and "Fusion" and was arguably his last truly great album.

In August 1969, Davis gathered his working band of the time, which consisted of Wayne Shorter on soprano saxophone, Dave Holland on bass, Chick Corea on electric piano, and Jack DeJohnette on drums for a rehearsal of the new album. This group was joined by
Joe Zawinul on keyboards, John McLaughlin on guitar, Bennie Maupin on clarinet, and several others. Davis presented the group with little more than simple chord lines for three pianos. He told them they could play anything that came to mind as long as they play off of his chosen chord.

Drummer Lenny White, who played on the album and later joined Chick Corea's group Return to Forever, described the sessions:

"It was like an orchestra, and Miles was our conductor. We wore headphones. We had to be able to hear each other. There were no guests at that session. No photos allowed. But there was one guest that nobody talked about, Max Roach. All live recording, no overdubs. 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., for three days."

The 2 LP set was released in April 1970. I often thought that this was what Chuck Berry was thinking of when he sang:

I've have no kick against modern jazz
Unless they try to play it too darn fast
And change the beauty of the melody
Until they sound just like a symphony :LOL:

But of course, Chuck's Rock and Roll Music (1957) was released well before Bitches Brew.

So glad to hear that you've found a place to settle into, and so close to work, that's fantastic! :)

I've met Lenny White and he was a really great guy as well as an amazing drummer.

I like a little bit of everything except much country or rap, but mostly listen to metal and hard rock when I do art. Lately it's been In This Moment, the Pretty Reckless, and as always, the "Repo! The Genetic Opera" soundtrack.

The Pretenders! Local Dudes and Dudettes. "Detroit Leaning" was a Cleveland/Akron term for leaning heavily to the left (toward Detroit... or Detroit Avenue) in an undisputably cool manner while driving. Chrissie left us with the biting My City was Gone:

"Hey! Ho! Way to go! Ohio!"
I like listening to good music!!! Not what you have put up on your post... You sound like you're from NewyYork city and that you cut and paste other people's musical ideas onto a canvas and call it your own... Maybe those chemicals being emitted from the sewer holes along the side streets of NYC retard the brains of the city dwellers and that's just as original as the culture gets... 'Detroit Rock City's is a good feeling song! So 'Suck my kiss'!

I like listening to good music!!! Not what you have put up on your post... You sound like you're from NewyYork city and that you cut and paste other people's musical ideas onto a canvas and call it your own... Maybe those chemicals being emitted from the sewer holes along the side streets of NYC retard the brains of the city dwellers and that's just as original as the culture gets... 'Detroit Rock City's is a good feeling song! So 'Suck my kiss'!
Did you join an art forum just to insult another member's musical tastes? That won't get you very far here.

Tone down the negative rhetoric and maybe show us some of your original artwork.

Back