What Are You Listening To?

MA.900.jpg

Finally!! The school year... one of the absolute worst I can remember... has come to an end. We went out for Mexican and celebrated with a 90 oz. Margarita and a couple of shots of Clase Azul Reposado...

PXL_20210725_143900366.PORTRAIT-scaled.jpg

The last few days have been spent recuperating... from the school year and the celebration. I'm finally able to focus again on my passions: reading, listening to music... and of course, making art. I'll probably start back to work on my last work in progress tomorrow. Today I'm listening to Martha Argerich... from her marvelous live performances in Lugano. I'm currently listening to disc 1 from this set which includes Beethoven's Piano Concerto no.1 (far better than might have been expected for an early work), Poulenc's Concerto for Two Pianos, and Mozart's Concerto for 3 Pianos. :love:

View attachment 563

There's too many of you crying
Brother, brother, brother
There's far too many of you dying
You know we've got to find a way
To bring some lovin' here today - Ya

Father, father
We don't need to escalate
You see, war is not the answer
For only love can conquer hate
You know we've got to find a way
To bring some lovin' here today

Picket lines and picket signs
Don't punish me with brutality
Talk to me, so you can see
Oh, what's going on
What's going on...

Still relevant today... 😢
check out this version ..

Getting back into the swing of drawing/painting I began working to some well-worn classic rock/pop albums:

Dark_Side_of_the_Moon.png

Led_Zeppelin_-_Led_Zeppelin_IV.jpg

TheDoorsTheDoorsalbumcover.jpg

canvas-print-the-doors-la-woman-i137412.jpg

As I began working on the tessellations in my current work-in-progress, I put this on:

51aff283-bea6-4df6-85df-335576c088a8_1.da21f5d4a07ea4d01cb11583985c2c1d.300.jpg

The almost mathematic perfection of Bach always makes sense when working on this aspect of my paintings... although at times I lean toward Medieval chant, Monteverdi, and Indian/Persian music.

Today I've been listening to one of my playlists on Spotify. This is a thematic list of Burlesque/Rockabilly music: Etta James, Little Richard, Brian Setzer, Louis Armstrong, Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, The Stray Cats, Duke Ellington, Pink Martini, Ray Charles, Cab Calloway, Cherry Poppin' Daddies, Jerry Lee Lewis, Elvis, The Big Bopper, Chuck Berry, Sony Lester, Wanda Jackson, Gene Vincent, Squirrel Nut Zippers, Joe Cocker, Post Modern Jukebox, etc...

I've been tied up with errands over the last week and only had a couple of hours of studio time here or there. When I did get some work time I put on music that would drive me to get something done... hard-driving rock music... in other words, the Rolling Stones:

51wCmL06bFL._UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

61lAj58qzXL._UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

small.jpg

81Ut0SKKVhL._UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Now I've headed off into another direction altogether:

klaviersonaten-0028942142224.jpg

0794881834426_600.jpg

Italian and French Baroque keyboard music.

Got that album and cover, original 60's. Take Five and Strange Meadowlark are dope without smoking. :)

Mellowing out today:

Time Out.500.jpg

Ha, I listened to this for the first time last week. I was pleasantly surprised by it: I tend to listen to mostly rock / metal but I like to add in other things too and I enjoyed this. I'm exploring genres at the moment by working my way through this book:

1688933225567.png

It is introducing me to a lot of new artists and styles (which is always a good thing).

Yesterday's album - number 24 of 1001 - was this, which I thought was beautiful:

Screenshot_20230709_211108_Kindle.jpg

I expect the book will take me a good few years to get through.

Ha, I listened to this for the first time last week. I was pleasantly surprised by it:
First time I heard Take Five was 1961, 19, I was in the US Army, South Korea, First Cavalry Division. Our barracks looked over a valley, I kicked back with a beer and cigarette, watching the sunset. Listening to Armed Forces Radio play their evening rundown when Take Five came on. It was new, never heard before. I just stopped and listened. My only companion was Sgt. Beverly, he was stoned, he just stopped also and listened. Couldn't say much, it was totally new and mesmerizing. The 60's were not just about the Beatles.

The Band

I created a playlist in Amazon music of The Band and cohorts, and it's a fave. I, personally, prefer the before-Dylan works, but if I can listen to Jericho Caves and Atlantic City and When I Paint My Masterpiece, (a Dylan song, but the live version on Rock of Ages is best) I'm good.

The Last Waltz is sublime.

Bruce Springsteen wrote Atlantic City- surprised me to learn that years back.

Post a link to your play list?
I don't think that will work- I pull it up through Alexa on an Echo- I'd set it up on one of our televisions when I stuck Amazon Music into our streaming, but it isn't in any list when I go to AM on the new television and I never worried it.

I do know if you go to AM and go through the entire classic Rock "Play Lists (not stations, or it wasn't anyway), there's a link for "More" and you can then search The Band and it will (did, anyway) have a marvelous playlist a couple hours long with The Band, Dylan, The Pearl, Canned Heat, CCR- the old ones with a bluesy-base to their work. Give that a try- or, get an Alexa speaker, and ask A for The Band station- *sometimes* she gets that right.

Sometimes, not. ;)

I mostly listen to music while I'm driving and regurgitate the same 20+ (or so) CDs in the car for many months before I change them out. It's hard for me to change them because I like driving to them. :ROFLMAO: They include a wide variety of things: Beatles, Aimee Mann, PJ Harvey, Elvis Costello, Prince, Stevie Wonder, Radiohead, Liz Phair, First Aid Kit, WAR, Bunny Wailer, The Clash...

At home, I listen to music on Sundays, and in the mornings, it's a bit of a tradition to put on some Beatles...just something I've done since I was a teenager. There used to be a local radio station that did "Breakfast with the Beatles" on Sunday mornings, and I've kept it alive on my own ever since. We have a HAP (which is a Sony high-resolution audio player), so it's easy to play random music. I will go find out what it stands for.

EDIT: High-resolution Audio Player=HAP

Last edited:
Station out of Seattle did Breakfast with the Beatles when we were in that area- 1996 to 2008 or so.

It was a good time. I think they're also the ones who did Zepplin O'Clock in the afternoons in the Eighties.

Nice musical menage

I built a sizable library of LPs from maybe age 14 until I started Art School... then I became the proverbial "starving artist"/"broke art student" lacking excess funds to purchase LPs when Art supplies were so expensive. Shortly after Art School LPs were virtually gone along with cassette tapes. I purchased my first CD player used from my brother (those things were damn expensive at first... I think the last CD player I bought for my computer was $20 o_O. I began building a collection of CDs after I got my first real job teaching. Every two weeks on payday we'd go out to dinner and then go to the bookstores where I add to my huge library of books (4500+... maybe more) and my music library. By that time I was focused on classical and jazz... but would also purchase favorite Pop/Rock discs (The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Elvis, Bob Dylan, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, etc... When Amazon began with the Marketplace dealers where you could purchase CDs at competitive discount prices I went nuts... buying dozens of recordings every week. By then, I had broadened my musical tastes to include Blues, Funk, Classic Country & Bluegrass, and even Non-Western Music (especially Middle-Eastern and Indian. If Amazon Marketplace Dealers had been in existence years earlier I likely would now have a CD collection of 10,000 or more discs. As it is, I now have nearly as many CDs as I have books... yet while Kindle and other digital streaming reading devices have in no way replaced reading actual physical books for me, I do turn to Spotify more likely than to actual CDs. Had streaming existed earlier, I could have save a crap-load of money. It is rare that I have a favorite recording (such as Wagner's Tristan und Isolde conducted by Herbert von Karajan... you'll love this one, Brian ;)) or certain artists (Niel Young still). I have a good many playlists on Spotify but none of them are public.

I listen to The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan... and a number or other artists quite frequently... but my "Sunday Listening" for years was J.S. Bach. I need to get back to this. I can never get bored with Bach in part because he had such a huge output. I have at least 300 recordings of Bach's music. :oops:

Back