What Are You Listening To?

Tomorrow is December 1st. All of us at school are counting down the days until Winter Break (16 school days counting tomorrow). So why not start my holiday listening? No Mariah Carey. Not even the more commonly known classical Christmas works...

I used to have a tradition of listening to Corelli's Christmas concerto on Christmas mornings. Perhaps not a bad one to pick up again.

no, rather I thought I'd begin with the music of Michael Praetorius... from the early 1600's... well before Bach. Of course there is one well-known tune by Praetorius: Es ist ein Ros entsprungen

Amadeus regret not familiar.jpg

But it is nice. I like Praetorius in a general sort of way. As an aside, Pretorius (without the A) is a very common surname around here, and indeed, our capital city was named after perhaps the most famous of the Pretorius clan.

I'm currently running through my YT playlist which is composed ( no pun intended) of Western European music from the 11th century a.d up to & including the 14th century a.d plus a guilty pleasure outside of my chosen theme namely ... Kay Kyser's 1947 recording of Slowboat to China ... too much of a toe tapper to ignore ... 🎼 .

I'm currently running through my YT playlist which is composed ( no pun intended) of Western European music from the 11th century a.d up to & including the 14th century a.d plus a guilty pleasure outside of my chosen theme namely ... Kay Kyser's 1947 recording of Slowboat to China ... too much of a toe tapper to ignore ... 🎼 .

A YT playlist? I didn't know there were such things, and I'd avoid them because I don't want my listening to be interrupted by random advertisements. :D

I do get pretty much all my music from YT nowadays, but I download it, which leaves the ads behind.

Imagine the astonishing logistics needed to put on this performance of Beethoven's Symphony No. 9 with 10000 people singing together.

Revised music for guitar and low budget orchestra.
Ensemble Moderns performance of it. They do a marvellous live rendition of my favourite Frank Zappa instrumental.

Joe, that is some video. I enjoyed the musical content but the lyrics are a little off the wall for me.

At the moment ... Elizabethan Consort & Lute music ... I like this a lot and might even add some pieces to my Playlist .

I have just discovered Takashi Yoshimatsu. Here is his lovely, lyrical Piano Concerto (Memo Flora) which, to my ear, is reminiscent of Messiaen's music.

I am looking forward to exploring his music further.

I have just discovered Takashi Yoshimatsu. Here is his lovely, lyrical Piano Concerto (Memo Flora) which, to my ear, is reminiscent of Messiaen's music.

I am looking forward to exploring his music further.

I confess I don't get Messiaen at all, but this is very nice - rather preferable to anything Messiaen ever wrote, if you ask me. :)

What it reminds me of, in its atmosphere if not instrumentation or the specifics of style, is this recorder concerto by Thomas Koppel:

Both pieces strike me as magical but tinged with a sort of lyrical sadness.

I agree with you about Messiaen; I've always found his religiosity tiresome. Thanks for mentioning Thomas Koppel. To my shame I must admit that I don't know his music.

Back