What Are You Listening To?

Usually, reading about music will not necessarily help me enjoy it more, but in the case of Mahler, it really did help me make more sense of his work when I learned that he basically tried to put entire worlds into his symphonies, so that they would contain everything from the profound to the utterly banal, from glorious sunsets to cowbells.

This explains their seemingly rambling structure, and I listened to them in that way: as a world to discover, that doesn't necessarily need to "makes sense". It's like taking a walk through city streets, with all manner of things to see: a lovely street tree here, some kids playing a silly game over there, a young punk in a souped-up car coming roaring past. At the end of the street you enter the grounds of a cemetery, beautiful and serene and somewhat sad, but halfway through a police helicopter comes thundering overhead. And so on and so forth: endlessly varying and interesting; it's the perfect stuff for the musical flaneur.

I think I came to appreciate later composers such as Wagner, Mahler, and Richard Strauss... on through Gershwin, Bernstein, and Reich.... because I approached classical music in something of a linear, chronological manner. My family attended the Lutheran Church and my mother sang soprano in the works of Bach in the services. I came to love Bach, Handel, and Vivaldi early on... before moving into Mozart, Haydn, Beethoven, Schubert, etc... My appreciation of "Early Music"... Renaissance and Medieval... only took place later. I think the structures of Bach as well as those of Minimalist composers helped me to make sense of Monteverdi, Gesualdo, Leonin, Perotin, and Gregorian Chant.

R-16091094-1603275069-7572.jpg

How about Bruckner? Another master of vast, sprawling symphonies.

Karajan is one of my "go-to" conductors for many of the great symphonists from Beethoven onward: Schubert, not Schuman, Brahms, Tchaikovsky, Bruckner, etc... but in most instances, I have several other favorite conductors for each composer.

images.jpg

For Bruckner, these would include Jochum...

81ofFEh0BjL._UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

... and Celibidache...

61dS3H04eRL._UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Last edited:
... there was that little incident when he wrote out Allegri's Miserere from memory after one or two hearings, though apparently that might be somewhat apocryphal. But such tales tell me he just possibly could remember tunes fairly well.

The details... coming from a letter written by Mozart's father... seem to have been exaggerated... but the tale doesn't seem to have been without merit. 14-year-old Mozart heard the Miserere in Rome... but also possibly in London where it had been performed during a visit. He may have seen one of the only three copies of the score held by Padre Martini in London... but his transcription of the score from memory was something far more impressive than merely having memorized a tune... something that was recognized by Pope Clement XIV.

I was of course being facetious. Interestingly, I seem to recall reading that Glazunov, not exactly a particularly prominent composer, had a similarly astonishing musical memory.

Years ago... I think I was in my late teens... I saw a video of Bernstein discussing one of Tchaikovsky's symphonic works. He looked and had the audience listen to separate parts of the score. Each part had a unique melody. Then these parts were all put together and the resulting melody was something else altogether. This simply boggles my mind... and don't even get me started on Bach. I cannot grasp how a pop musician... such as Paul McCartney... could play one melody on the bass guitar... to one rhythm... while singing another melody/rhythm. As a teen, I knew I wanted to be an "artist"... but was uncertain which Art I should focus on. I quickly realized that for all my love of music, there was no way I would ever become a musician/composer. :LOL:

Yup, it also requires, I think, a particular kind of personality; there are few ivory tower composers who sit isolated in a composer's hut in the mountains dreaming up masterpieces. Not even Mahler - he was a working musician, which means working with other people, all the time, and often extensively traveling around.

Damn! Some of the movements in this symphony by Bruchner are longer than entire symphonies by Mozart or Haydn. :oops:

I have yet to extensively explore Bruckner (it, erm, takes a lot of time! :D ). But I do enjoy some of the symphonies, particularly numbers 2, 4 and 8.

This is a continuation of my post in the Art and Humor forum. I only have a few major composers whose music I don't enjoy: Tchaikovsky, Olivier Messiaen, and Bruckner spring to mind. Life is too short to listen to music that does not appeal to me; I'd rather invest time in exploring the many composers I do appreciate. Of course, my gods are Bach and Mozart, but also Wagner, Bartok, Debussy, and Ravel amongst many others. I also have a preference for the Fins, especially modern Finnish composers like Einojuhani Rautavaara, Kalevi Aho, and Kaija Saariaho. One of my favourite conductors, Esa-Pekka Salonen, is also Finnish. I prefer cool, intellectual conductors like Salonen and Pierre Boulez, although, with the right music, I also love the hyper demonstrative Leonard Bernstein, sweaty brow and all.

The name of Giovanni Paisiello is today relatively obscure. But this contemporary of Mozart wrote a great deal of delightful music, including these piano concertos recommended to me by YouTube:

Different theme ... a few years ago I started listening to audio books. Took me back to Wed @ 2pm in primary school radio story time. Saved my hands a lot, and I can paint and listen. Double bonus. Music when I'm painting doesn't work for me.

Hermes... yes, Anna Lucia Richter is a lovely singer. I absolutely loved this recording from a few years ago:

ohne-titel-2.600.jpg

Different theme ... a few years ago I started listening to audio books. Took me back to Wed @ 2pm in primary school radio story time. Saved my hands a lot, and I can paint and listen. Double bonus. Music when I'm painting doesn't work for me.

I'm just the opposite. I don't think I could listen to an audio book any more than I could watch a movie while painting. Then again... I tend to read poetry far more than novels and the emphasis on very specific words and the poetic structure would be absolutely impossible to grasp while painting.

Welp, I made it through this whole thread (with much skimming). I am an uncultured swine who knows/cares very little about most jazz and classical (beyond the obvious classics that probably everyone knows), but I am happy to have picked up some suggestions that appeal to my taste, and recognize many familiar favorites. Cheers!

I don't know if this would be up anyone's alley, but this little vid always gets me going:

It looks like they are just having way too much fun.

Someone posted an a capella cover of "Creep" that made me trudge through my Youtube Favorites to find this hard glam rock cover of Street Spirit (Fade Out) to share:

And finally, what I'm currently listening to is Des Ark. I drove myself crazy trying to find the perfect introduction to her music, for those who don't know it, but ended up picking from random because I couldn't decide. It could be wailing hardcore played on out of tune instruments, soothing folk-inspired acoustic, or something punk-inspired...but with a banjo. A random adventure.

Ok, one more. One of my all-time favorites. I opted for the album version with the static album art because I just really love that album cover:

Embarrassedly, I must admit to the fact that I haven't listened to Bach for some time now. BLASPHEMY!!! I might try to excuse myself by pointing out that my wife... still recovering from Pneumonia... is often napping throughout the day and in bed early... in the same room where my music systems are. I know I could get a pair of headphones... but after using these, my ears always ring for days.

So I've popped in this lovely recording on Spotify:

41fC79V1GdL._UXNaN_FMjpg_QL85_.jpg

Plating it at low volume while she sleeps.

The London Baroque are a marvelous "band" and BIS recordings are almost always of the highest sonic quality.

Embarrassedly, I must admit to the fact that I haven't listened to Bach for some time now. BLASPHEMY!!!

Or Bachphemy, perhaps :)

I might try to excuse myself by pointing out that my wife... still recovering from Pneumonia... is often napping throughout the day and in bed early... in the same room where my music systems are. I know I could get a pair of headphones... but after using these, my ears always ring for days.

When our ears ring after exposure to noise, that means we have sustained some hearing damage. In the longer run, it adds up to deafness in old age. I have become absolutely paranoid about protecting my ears. I go as far as to carry earplugs along if I need to attend things that might be noisy.

Some years ago I worked as teacher at a small private school and then learned from experience how noisy kids can be. As happens at schools, I had to do playground duty during some break times, at which time kids would be running around screaming, as kids do. In a school with large premises, it's no problem. But in this particular case, there were perhaps two hundred kids crammed into a rather small area, and the noise reached literally deafening levels. Which makes me wonder how much damage those kids were sustaining. Not that they ever actually used their ears anyway. :D

The modern world is vastly more noisy than the one we evolved in, and our ears are not made for it. My suggestion is to throw away those headphones, or at least, any pair that causes ringing in the ears.

As for me, been on a bit of a Vangelis trip. This is one of his more obscure albums, but probably my favorite of his:

Tomorrow is December 1st. All of us at school are counting down the days until Winter Break (16 school days counting tomorrow). So why not start my holiday listening? No Mariah Carey. Not even the more commonly known classical Christmas works... no, rather I thought I'd begin with the music of Michael Praetorius... from the early 1600's... well before Bach. Of course there is one well-known tune by Praetorius: Es ist ein Ros entsprungen
817UIrHKSSL._UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Back