Weird Color Choice?

JessieNebulous

Hey guys! I just bought a set of Derwent Procolour pencils (I know they're not very lightfast, but they were 50% off) and I'm a little perplexed by their color selection. They have 5 greens and 4 browns (though one is more a golden yellow), but only 3 blues, 2 reds and 2 yellows. And 1 lonely orange. It's almost like the set was curated for people who draw nature, like plants and animals and such. But it's just their normal 24 set, not a specialty set.

Is it just me, or is that kind of a weird choice of colors? I'm not complaining, I just find it odd there's so few primaries. But this is my first set of 24 pencils (I have 12 Polychromos and 48 Prismacolors), so maybe this is pretty standard in a 24 set. What do you guys think? Weird or not?

20221115_132517.jpg

And while I could do with more purples, pinks and blues in this set, the ones that are there are gorgeous!

20221115_143417.jpg

It's almost like the set was curated for people who draw nature, like plants and animals and such. But it's just their normal 24 set, not a specialty set.
Maybe it was in around about way. Since it's not super high pro, but better than children's grade; who's most likely going to be using it? The hobbyist landscapers I think.

Maybe it was in around about way. Since it's not super high pro, but better than children's grade; who's most likely going to be using it? The hobbyist landscapers I think.
Could be, but if it's for landscape artists, I would think there would be more blues. Particularly a lighter sky blue. The 3 they have are on the darker end of the spectrum.

Back