water color tips

ntl

Contributing Member
What tips of any kind do you have for working with watercolor?
I'm new at using wc for anything other than quick studies, so can probably use a lot of them.
Two from me:
I cut about a 1/4 rectangle from a piece of wc paper to use as a "mask" over my project to protect it from any accidental drips. It looks like a fat, bold, capital L with both legs fat.
A friend uses a chunk of a Mister Clean Magic Eraser to lift away unwanted paint.

Hey, that's a great idea that I've not used before (the masking 'L'). I like it. Thank you. Not sure I'd be brave enough to use the Magic Eraser on my beautiful paper! Maybe I'll test it on some cheaper paper first. :LOL:

I like to have everything I need nearby, Kleenex, paper towels, clean water, as well as the "working" water, Q-tips, etc. I find Kleenex to be the best for lifting paint off. I also use an eyedropper to add just the right amount of (clean) water to the paint. You probably already know this, but never leave your brushes sit in the water. Always lay them down on a paper towel after stirring them clean in the water, keeping the bristles formed.

I haven't used the magic eraser yet either, not sure I will.

I want to have my tools close, too, then may not have space to work in, :LOL:. I have a glass topped work table and use about 4 feet of space for most stuff. Kleenex box and drinking water are on an end table. How do you use the Q-tips? Iuse kleenex, too, to lift color, rather than paper towels. Instead of an eye dropper, I use a small squeezable medicine vial to drop a bit of clean water onto my paint. Never thought to law brushes on a towel, I think I'll try that--a dedicated place for them, rather than helter-skelter.

Here's another: I use pages from a not-glossy publication--the kind that often comes in the mail--to wipe color off the brush, even before swishing it in the wash water. I also use it to soak (too much) water from my brush if needed before applying it to the painting. That also gives me a better idea of what I will get when I do use it on my piece.

I use a "tri-brush washer" portable setup. It's small, has 3 wells of size, and works well en plein air or in a studio. There are several versions of this for sale on the web and in some stores: tri-brush type washer

Watercolor can be mixed highly successfully with a few other media. I find "line and wash" technique most fun, using ink or InkTense for line work, since both of those once dry don't lift with water. Gouache is really opaque watercolor and you can use them together, but even the best white gouache will not return to the level of white of the original paper surface.

My friend used to overlay watercolor with some pastel in large paintings and the effect was quite beautiful.

There are a zillion great tips about how to best use watercolor, but mine is that it is probably one of the most portable and versatile mediums you can use. Take a small kit with you everywhere and sketch a lot. I do.

A friend uses a chunk of a Mister Clean Magic Eraser to lift away unwanted paint.
Agree with Arty, that stuff is pretty abrasive, and easily damages wet paper. I´ve tried it, and don´t use it anymore for this purpose.
It´s great for cleaning plastic pallets that are stained (phtalo blue and green I am looking at you). Also it conditions plastic pallets so the water doesn´t lay in droplets on the surface anymore.

Yes, that Magic Eraser is a little bit like sandpaper. Very abrasive.

Watercolor is so portable. I love it for this. Lately, I've been going over to a friend's house to make art together and I bring a small oak workbox with me. It has a lot of tools, brushes, colored pencils, a palette, water glass, pens, ink, tape, pencils, eyeglasses, watercolor paper, and a small pan set in it <--which takes up the least amount of room in there. I made the box myself, and it's something I'm very proud of.

insidebox2-2023.jpg

gerstnerbox.jpg

Bartc, I was looking for such a thing just yesterday. A couple of members of life drawing sessions that I attended about 10 years ago had something similar, theirs were about 6" tall, red and collapsible. I couldn't find them until I used the name you gave them--tri-brush washer.

I still haven't used the magic eraser. My friend swears by it.

Arty, that's a beautiful pochade box. What are the dimensions? It looks fairly deep.

Bartc, I was looking for such a thing just yesterday. A couple of members of life drawing sessions that I attended about 10 years ago had something similar, theirs were about 6" tall, red and collapsible. I couldn't find them until I used the name you gave them--tri-brush washer.

I still haven't used the magic eraser. My friend swears by it.

Arty, that's a beautiful pochade box. What are the dimensions? It looks fairly deep.
I've used one or two of these for 20+ years. They've been around. Not sure why more folks haven't discovered this inexpensive and extremely useful tool.

Agree that Ayin's box is really nice.

About 100 years ago portable kits were works of art in themselves.

I use two old but clean washcloths plus two water bowls, changing as it gets dirty using R/O (reverse osmosis). I prop my backing board onto a Kleenex box for a proper slant so water flows downwards. Also I fold 4 pieces of masking tape for each paper corner or use more if needed. My water sprayer is handy by the Kleenex box and palette is spritzed before painting. If doing a half sheet or larger full one I’ll squeeze out fresh paint.
But perhaps the most important thing is, if you’re able to, is stand up to paint. Sitting puts you too close to your work and limits overall view of it. Found out that secret after asking the professionals at a series of workshops in Taos.

Kay, Thanks for the tips. I hadn't thought of standing either, but then it's hard for me to stand more than a few minutes. I used to paint with oils standing over a table after I couldn't use an easel. Now I sit 99% of the time. I did raise the top of my board on a box today. Only about 2" high, but I can see even that made a difference.

It's very hard for me to stand too. t the easel, I have a chair in front of it now and try to sit most of the time. At the table, I find myself standing more often than not and it kills my legs.

Back