Wanting color in a drawing....

KatShealy

Giving it a shot. Not sure where I'm going after the graphite and ink but I must apply color. It just needs it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211102-174706_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20211102-174706_Photos.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 148
  • Screenshot_20211102-174646_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20211102-174646_Photos.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 140
Grab a set of colored inks. You can do a lot with them. If you prefer a brush, you can get acrylic inks in small bottles and mix your colors in a dish.

Grab a set of colored inks. You can do a lot with them. If you prefer a brush, you can get acrylic inks in small bottles and mix your colors in a dish.
Ok. Never used inks before. I'll pick some up tomorrow and see what I can do with them. Thank you.

That's really nice! If your paper can take a little water you could also consider watercolor pencils if you have them. They're nice because you can get lines or washes. Maybe something like a hard pastel for the background so the paper won't warp?

That's really nice! If your paper can take a little water you could also consider watercolor pencils if you have them. They're nice because you can get lines or washes. Maybe something like a hard pastel for the background so the paper won't warp?
Yes...I am considering putting out the money for 300 lb paper or creating my own paper block
I hate when it buckles.

Giving it a shot. Not sure where I'm going after the graphite and ink but I must apply color. It just needs it.
I know this is a drawing. It is a picture of a beautiful young girl that was in National Geographic. It is not my composition. Her eyes though. I want the color of her eyes on this paper.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211102-200446_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20211102-200446_Photos.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 121
I know this is a drawing. It is a picture of a beautiful young girl that was in National Geographic. It is not my composition. Her eyes though. I want the color of her eyes on this paper.
Just sayin'. How do you do this?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211102-201018_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20211102-201018_Google.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 123
I like black and white work just as much as colour, but there are so many options of inks and paints and pencils to choose from that I'm sure you'll be able to find a perfect fit for adding colour to your work. Once you choose a medium for colour, you can play some exercises where you mix colours to match black and white values, then convert the colour version to B&W to see how close your match is.

I like black and white work just as much as colour, but there are so many options of inks and paints and pencils to choose from that I'm sure you'll be able to find a perfect fit for adding colour to your work. Once you choose a medium for colour, you can play some exercises where you mix colours to match black and white values, then convert the colour version to B&W to see how close your match is.
I am comfortable with that advice. I have never been a control freak, but when I can't control the medium I, well, freak. Lol

I agree with triss. I also love black and white as much as color. It also depends on what you do with it, and the media used. You fish is wonderful! :)

In addition to watercolor or inks, I use Pan Pastels and color pencils when I want to do limited color with graphite or charcoal. You can make use of fixative in isolated areas if needed.

Somewhere recently I saw a detailed graphite drawing that was hit with a workable fixative and then gone over with colored pencils. The effect was kinda like those old black-and-white photos that were hand tinted. I think it was a Lee Hammond article somewhere out there that describes the technique.

Back