Value study of four objects

Stlukesguild, those are beautiful Rubens paintings. Thank you for posting and writing the info and history about them. Is it really true that when painting the further layers he added damar varnish in the medium? I've only heard that artists use in imprimatura mixture damar varnish but never thought it could be used in the following layers. I do it every time when I apply imprimatura (first layer).

I forgot to post the final painting. Here it is and I'm not happy what I did with the jar but it was demanding to paint. The zucchinis were fun to paint.

1397_20210507_160824.jpg

It all looks great to me. The pitcher balances color and composition. It needs to be there for variance. ❤️ ❤️ ❤️

Wayne, thank you!
Arty, thanks! I have no idea what is wrong with the jar, something is wrong that's for sure. Maybe it's the color. It's now dry so I could later work some more on it but am now occupied with other paintings .. more urgent ones. One thing in the photo I notice that where the jar turns towards the table there is not enough dark .. some shadow needed there with the reflection of table maybe. Things like that can make a change to different or at least it's the only thing that occurs to my mind. Somehow the jar could give more to the painting.
Sno, thank you! I agree, it needs to be there! I won't wipe it out. (y)
Joe, Thank you!

You are indeed very accomplished. I do not paint in oils, so this is quite impressive. I struggle with values, and that value study is outstanding.

Joy, thank you so much! Thank you for your kind words!
Jo, Thanks a lot! I´m glad you like it.

This is beautiful. I love how it came out.

One thing in the photo I notice that where the jar turns towards the table there is not enough dark .. some shadow needed there with the reflection of table maybe. Things like that can make a change to different or at least it's the only thing that occurs to my mind. Somehow the jar could give more to the painting.
I wonder if there was a more defined shadow at the edge of the jar where it touches the table if that would help ground the top of the jar more.

Truly a beautiful still life! I liked the study very much but the addition of color took it over the top!

Ams, thank you for pointing that area out for me. I will try to fix it some more and see if that helps. I didn't notice it myself, I guess I've begun blind to see anything in this painting. That happens. Thanks! 🙏
Donna, thanks! Glad you like it. I wanted to practice color (not only black and White) and just wanted to try how that works.

Back