The Top 59 Living Painters Ranked According to Objective Criteria

No. 12, 1954
no-12-1954.png

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the most important lessons I learned about paintings over the years is that a painting is an object as well as an image. A photograph reduces a painting to an image and the image is nowhere near the same as the painting in real life.

One of the most important lessons I learned about paintings over the years is that a painting is an object as well as an image. A photograph reduces a painting to an image and the image is nowhere near the same as the painting in real life.

true…

however, a lot of my art is photography

Last edited by a moderator:

I find that digital art is frequently best viewed on a computer screen rather than printed, even art "painted" with software designed to create a painterly effect.

With 3d printers and print on canvas technology etc, digital art can and will look as deep and 3d as oils. Imagine John's abstracts as 3d "paintings".

With 3d printers and print on canvas technology etc, digital art can and will look as deep and 3d as oils. Imagine John's abstracts as 3d "paintings".

I've yet to see anything that comes even close. I've seen reproductions that mimic the impasto surface of paintings but not the transparency or physicality. Such technology would also be expensive and largely limited to wealthy artists... especially as the scale of work increases. It is certainly possible that future technology will be able to mimic paintings to the point that one cannot discern the copy from the "original". But it has always seemed to me that each new innovation in terms of creating images has been embraced as new media with its own possibilities and not simply a means of mimicking other media.

Back