The Three Graces - collage

Terri

Supporting Member
I did this collage on a 16x20" masonite board. I really like the solid feel of masonite, though I messed up from the start by not sanding it first, so after applying the gesso I sanded it smooth. Painted the top with dark blue acrylic and the bottom raw umber.

I looked at a lot of historical "Three Graces" references: paintings, statues - and this is kind of a mash-up, with a fine dash of messy glue technique and whimsy. ;)

Lots of mistakes on this one, as it's wayyy out of my comfort zone!

The Three Graces.jpg

I've collected some colored and fancy papers over time, so this was also a great way to start cutting into them. I got the masonite cut down from an 8-foot panel, and the guy was supposed to give me the odd scrap sizes too, but tossed them instead. But I have several more panels and will have some more fun playing with collage.

Feedback is always welcomed and appreciated - thanks for looking! :)

I wasn't going to log in tonight but when I saw this I had to. Man, oh man: blown away. That is Oh so cool. It's a very imaginative pulling on an old theme. Beautiful. Very inspiring. Simply full of little intrincies. Great job Terri.

I wasn't going to log in tonight but when I saw this I had to. Man, oh man: blown away. That is Oh so cool. It's a very imaginative pulling on an old theme. Beautiful. Very inspiring. Simply full of little intrincies. Great job Terri.
Thanks so much, Wayne! Really appreciate the comments. I'm glad it struck you in this way. ❤️

Terri, it's wonderful! There's a lot to enjoy here.
So happy you like it, ntl! ❤️ Thank you!

You are welcome. I was so drained and stuck from my last series of snow scenes and I didn't want to go back to pretend flowers. When I saw what you done with your imagination on an old theme I realized there are hundreds of public domain paintings just waiting to be reawakened to a new era. Now I have a new playgroundfor inspiration. Thank you so much.

You are welcome. I was so drained and stuck from my last series of snow scenes and I didn't want to go back to pretend flowers. When I saw what you done with your imagination on an old theme I realized there are hundreds of public domain paintings just waiting to be reawakened to a new era. Now I have a new playgroundfor inspiration. Thank you so much.
Well, I am glad this piece made you think about all these classic paintings and tableaus that await you. :) They're very inspiring, aren't they? I can't wait to see what you come up with next. ❤️

I'm so happy this turned out so wonderfully. And it did! :) I hope you keep experimenting with this media because you are too good at it not to keep it up. This is simply beautiful and innovative in every way! ❤️ ❤️ ❤️ LOVE IT!!!

I love this! A really joyful take on the three graces. It's so well put together. 🙂

This is so original, fresh and clean looking1 I am not sure to which "mistakes" you refer! It is understated and simple, yet complete. If I attempted a collage it would be too heavy to carry from overworking! The colors and shapes on the graces are so involving. The only thing that keeps my eye away from them is the sun, upper left, as it is so well done it stands out.

Thank you for the comments, Joy - I appreciate them so much! I played around with the cutouts before gluing anything, and changed my mind more than once. ;) Really happy you like it!

I’ve come back to look at this many times too, Terri. Working on Masonite must be nice because you don’t have to worry about warping. I’m curious about your “messy glue technique.” What did you use for glue? Did you cut all the paper shapes first before gluing any of them? I really don’t know much about collage.

Back