Stuart Davies

Desforges

I am not very good at landscapes , or perhaps I prefer telling stories. But, I would like to get into it more. I discovered the videos of Stuart Davies and like his skies and ways of simplifying complexed textures. Has anyone looked at his style and what do you think?

Yes. i like his style and think it has lots of sense since i used to instruct my self the same method in the past and even today. the problem is that i never get satisfied and destroy the beauty of simplicity. there was another one that painted the same but all his online films removed.

His paintings are very nice to view. I have not watched a video so I don't know his method but I'm sure it is based on less is more which is a good wat to go.

I am not sure I'm a big fan of his work, personally. It's nice. Of course it's pleasant to look at! The technique has almost too much blending and softness for me. This is just my critical opinion and preference. I'm sure he's a good teacher though, as far as teaching "what" to paint, and the compositional aspects of landscape work.

There is something that I like about it, maybe the way to look at things that seem complicated . Something to learn . I tend to overwork everything.

Last edited:
actualy im sure every painter when he start notice shapes that the solvents create on the surface when he block in, start using these as patherns guide. most in landscape paintings. Stephan baumann, Bob ross, Jerry yarnell, Byron pickering using it and im sure many more.

I am not very good at landscapes , or perhaps I prefer telling stories. But, I would like to get into it more. I discovered the videos of Stuart Davies and like his skies and ways of simplifying complexed textures. Has anyone looked at his style and what do you think?

I've watched a bunch of his vids. I like how he simplifies also. It's a fun and direct way to paint. He knows his stuff and can really paint. I think he makes these quick painting vids to appeal to those like me that have little patience. Plus it's a fun way to paint. A great way to stay loose and lay down the start of a perhaps more developed refined painting. I particularly liked when he used a pallet knife here.

His work is proficient, most seem in a tonalist mode. After looking at several works, they leave me wanting for more.
I would be careful with putting to much focus on “technique”, especially those that lead to “ formulas” to apply generally. That can be an allure for shallow success and a dead end, leading to works that may have “pop” and drama, but when you’ve seen one, you’ve kinda seen them all.

His work is proficient, most seem in a tonalist mode. After looking at several works, they leave me wanting for more.
I would be careful with putting to much focus on “technique”, especially those that lead to “ formulas” to apply generally. That can be an allure for shallow success and a dead end, leading to works that may have “pop” and drama, but when you’ve seen one, you’ve kinda seen them all.
I know what you mean by formulas to avoid so everything looks the same but his method also teaches you how to trust that you have seen something before and that images are stored somewhere in your memory and that you can tap into that. I have not tried to follow his videos yet but I will try at least once. 😁

I think what we are looking for or shall i say finding in paintings that atract us. is temptation.

I completely agree. Some of it is also the size that impresses. Tonalism helps with these simple styles I think.

I know what you mean by formulas to avoid so everything looks the same but his method also teaches you how to trust that you have seen something before and that images are stored somewhere in your memory and that you can tap into that. I have not tried to follow his videos yet but I will try at least once. 😁

Yeah I would like to try it also. If only to loosen up and I can see it being a good start for a more developed painting. Kinda looks like an advanced underpainting, with the thinned out paint and big brushes. And it reminds me a bit of Chinese landscapes which I like very much.

Last edited:
Back