Perspective trouble.

Okino

I am a self taught artist and I was never able to learn about this. I've looked at some videos and read a little about it, but its something I am struggling with, specially when i want to add some backgrounds to my paintings. If anyone has any great tips or techniques I'd love some help and input.

Welcome to Creative Spark, Okino!

If you could post an image of your work, one that's giving you trouble, you'll get more specific answers.

There are lots of general tips and comments we can give, but then we might sound like one of the videos. ;)

Upload an example of your work, and let's see how we can help you. Plenty of talented artists here!

Here are the resources I used to learn perspective:
I also made a gif to help myself learn some more advanced ways to use perspective:
Rotating Planes by TamPaints.gif

Lastly, I found this video to be very helpful for guiding my decisions of which type of perspective to choose for a composition:

Welcome to the site Okino. I am self-taught too and have never been great at perspective, but wholly trust the members here to lead you in the right direction.

What exactly are the problems you are having with perspective? What sort of background are you trying to add to your paintings?

I am just trying to add more story to my drawings. So far I usually just draw a person but I would love to be able to put more into the back to add more to the drawing.
bluegreen.jpg

@Okino, I had a bit of a play from your photo. Hope you don't mind.

First I needed to straighten up the photo (it was already in a sort of perspective tilt from your photo). At first I had trouble, as you did, in figuring out the perspective; the artwork was already boxed-in. So I decided to paste it on a larger background to get a better feel of making a perspective room, as @Enyaw suggested. Then, just for extra emphasis on the perspective, and to make a double framing of your work, I added a wall picture frame too.

When it comes to perspective drawing it is better to add its layout lightly in the background first. Knowing that most rooms are 9 feet tall, this will give an idea of how to proportionate the figure height to the room. In this case visa-versa.

bluegreen perspective play.jpg

Study your family or friends or people in the house, car, malls, etc. Make quick study sketches of them in a room. They don't have to be perfect drawings just an aid to help you get an idea of how the pieces fit in a puzzle. After awhile you won't think perspective but will think shapes. Negative spaces, positive spaces.
Sketch a bottle, then a bottle on a placemat. Then both on a table. Then all three in a room. Then another rooom off the main room. Start small and work into it. It's easier than you think when you study things you are familiar with. Sketch your bottle from standing above it, sitting level with it, below it. It's all angles and shapes. It's all an illusion and how you use shapes to create your illusion. Don't get discouraged, just take one step and when you can get one go for two, and on and on. Cute sketch, btw.

You can also snap your own pictures and those can be your reference. There's nothing wrong with drawing from a reference. It will also help you with seeing perspective. I can't see perspective without a reference of some kind, like straight out of my head.

You can also snap your own pictures and those can be your reference. There's nothing wrong with drawing from a reference. It will also help you with seeing perspective. I can't see perspective without a reference of some kind, like straight out of my head.
I know what you mean! I usually try to use some reference but i guess im stubborn and end up ignoring the reference T-T

Back