Somewhere on a beach somewhere

john

I totally copied this from Georgia Hart https://georgiahartstudios.com/ I did add some sailboats and a thunderstorm and random things and couldn't really copy.

I've been moving this way, painting with the knife, and I saw her stuff and really liked it. So to hopefully learn a little I copied (tried to) one of hers. It looks like a scene from the beach near me. It's interesting how she constructs her paintings. They're balanced and finessed while also looking rough and abstract. The way she uses lines in the sky is very cool. And holy moly she lathers on the paint.

8x6 inches oil on paper. While taking the blue painter tape off it tore the paper in one small spot. Grrrrr. Next time I'm using weaker tape and/or a hair drier.

1641856734139.png

I wasn't familiar with that painter, John, and after looking at her work I'd say you are using the knife very much like she does! This is really beautiful and I'm fascinated with all the luscious texture. Your colors are gorgeous and the sense of sunlight is very real. More please!

I wasn't familiar with that painter, John, and after looking at her work I'd say you are using the knife very much like she does! This is really beautiful and I'm fascinated with all the luscious texture. Your colors are gorgeous and the sense of sunlight is very real. More please!

Thanks Donna. Yeah the textures she gets are really interesting. Adds another dimension. I've been fascinated watching Richard Musgrave-Evans on YT and he does a similar thing but it's the Australian outback. Her stuff fits the landscape around here much better.

Yeah going to do more. I don't know if I'll get tired of it but I really like working this way. It's fun, direct, and fast.

I really like the texture you achieved with this and the simplicity of the landscape. Well done. :)

Great textures - I especially like the thunderstorm and how you applied the rain effect.

Great textures - I especially like the thunderstorm and how you applied the rain effect.

Thanks for saying that, because they were the things most different than hers. The thunderstorm cloud was actually a happy accident, then the rain made sense.

I really like it, and this style of painting which is half abstract and half realism appeals to me too.

Back