Some local wildlife

brianvds

A few years ago I was gifted a basic introductory DSRL, a camera I could never afford for myself. Perhaps somewhat strangely, for "artsy" kind of photography I still prefer the simplicity of a P&S or cellphone camera. I never really could get into highly technical stuff or get much out of the bazillion settings and things you get on modern cameras. But I do find the more powerful lens really handy for bringing animals closer. I greatly reduced the size of the pictures here, otherwise they'll take forever to upload, but larger versions can be seen on my Deviantart gallery here: https://www.deviantart.com/brianvds/gallery/82248046/2022-photos

2022 Blesbok DSC_3279.JPG

Blesbok

2022 Burchell's coucal DSC_3064.JPG

Burchell's coucal

2022 Cape buffalo DSC_2649b.JPG

Cape buffalo

2022 Cape glossy starling DSC_2067.JPG

Cape glossy starling

2022 Crested barbet DSC_2157b.JPG

Crested barbet

2022 Crowned lapwing DSC_2654c.JPG

Crowned lapwing

2022 Grey hornbill DSC_2104.JPG

Grey hornbill

2022 Redheaded finch DSC_2220.JPG

Red-headed finch male

2022 Rose-ringed parakeet DSC_2880.JPG

Rose-ringed parakeet

2022 Spotted thick-knee DSC_3263.JPG

Spotted thick-knee

2022 Stone chat DSC_2656c.JPG

Stone chat male

2022 White-bellied sunbird DSC_3052.JPG

White-bellied sunbird

2022 Yellow mongoose DSC_3248.JPG

Yellow mongoose

I like 'em all! Just enough background to establish the subject' s locale, and the shallow depth of field fuzzes out any distractions.

As to the DSLR, you should (no guarantee!) have a "fully automatic" setting, so it works as a P&S.

--Rich

I like 'em all! Just enough background to establish the subject' s locale, and the shallow depth of field fuzzes out any distractions.

As to the DSLR, you should (no guarantee!) have a "fully automatic" setting, so it works as a P&S.

--Rich

Yup, for the most part I simply use the auto setting. The autofocus can be annoying, because it sometimes insists on focusing on the wrong thing, and then I have to focus manually.

The shallow depth of field can sometimes be a bit of a problem, so it might be worth my while to work out how one can change that.

You've caught some excellent shots, Brian. Regarding your comments on autofocus, I think many share your views, including me. I used to have the same issues, but back button focus has solved all my problems. I've been using back button focus for a few years now and will never go back to "normal" autofocus. I urge you to try it.

Wow, INCREDIBLE images Brain. I absolutely love these. I'm a wildlife fan in general. We have a lot around here, but nothing as exotic as this. So wonderful to see some of these. The birds are gorgeous, and so are the mammals. Just beautiful! ♥️

Wow, INCREDIBLE images Brain. I absolutely love these. I'm a wildlife fan in general. We have a lot around here, but nothing as exotic as this. So wonderful to see some of these. The birds are gorgeous, and so are the mammals. Just beautiful! ♥️

I'm sure the wildlife you have around there will strike me as every bit as wonderfully exotic. :)

Wonderful set of shots, Brian! I seldom shoot wildlife so I really enjoy good work like this. :) Great variety of critters, postures and lighting.

Good job.

That is awesome - so glad Hannah acted fast to get this shot. What a gorgeous wild cat! ❤️ Love those tufted ears.

Back