Some local wildlife

brianvds

Love that black bee on the white flower. Beautiful!

It's a carpenter bee. They're big and fluffy, like bumblebees, but they bore holes into wood for their nests, hence the name. They're also thieves: I have noticed that when flowers are too small for them to get into, they drill a little hole at the base of the flower, stick in their tongues and steal nectar without paying for it in pollination services. :)

Artyczar

I always think of those wood bees as "stupid." They fly so slow and loud and remind me of a dumb cartoon character going along in the air, "Doo-doot, dar duh dar..." :ROFLMAO:

brianvds

I always think of those wood bees as "stupid." They fly so slow and loud and remind me of a dumb cartoon character going along in the air, "Doo-doot, dar duh dar..." :ROFLMAO:

Yup, they sort of clumsily bumble around; I find them very cute. :)

Terri

It's a carpenter bee. They're big and fluffy, like bumblebees, but they bore holes into wood for their nests, hence the name. They're also thieves: I have noticed that when flowers are too small for them to get into, they drill a little hole at the base of the flower, stick in their tongues and steal nectar without paying for it in pollination services. :)
Interesting - the fat carpenter bees I'm most familiar with are yellow and black: they look like regular bees. This guy is unique looking with his black & white.

They do drone loudly and hover slowly. In my former neck of the woods, I think they're also called carpenter bees because of their naughty ways around house and deck boards. ;) I love the little brats.

Triduana

Contributing Member
Wow, beautiful photos! Thank you for sharing. There are many things here I haven't heard of before! I would love to photograph more wildlife / flora and I've been threatening to buy myself a decent SLR for several years now.