Small vessel on a watery floating sphere

The first art poster I bought was Kandinsky's Homage to Fernand Leger that I saw at the George Pompidou Centre in Paris. I guess I was 21 at the time and the love affair with colour and abstraction began around that time. Some time later I came across Klee's 1914 Tunisian paintings (St Germain etc) and never looked back. I have a lot of trouble de-Klee-ifying my own work. To think that Klee and Kandinsky shared a house for 6 years -- and some of their most productive years too.

Anyway, on the matter of all-over painting, I'm totally into this. Its a bit of a waste of canvas to lead the eye to a focal point, no? ;-)

It's part of the reason I put the two yellow bumblebees/ balloons in the painting. I wanted a trio of focal points instead of just on the small boat. I was thinking it might form a triangle of Interest.

I love this! I especially like the way you applied the paint, there are some really interesting textures and shapes. I really like the orange dots too! 🙂

I like your sea painting with the brilliant colors. Very similar to illustrations I've seen in reading textbooks for middle school.

Interesting observation about Kandinsky being mathematical. Yeah his work is abstract but seems engineered. Perhaps because of how he saw his painting related to music gave it a certain order and composition like a musical score.

And yes Klee seems more playful and less serious. A little more fun. I think I like Klee a little more also. I think I prefer just a little more representational in paintings which Klee seems to have. Fully abstract paintings I find less satisfying.

Glad you brought up the Blue Rider Group. I had heard of them but didn't know much. Made me look into them further. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Der_Blaue_Reiter

In that group was this woman painter I had not heard of Marianne von Werefkin https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marianne_von_Werefkin

I like her paintings. They seem like magic realism which a genre that I find fascinating. And August Macke.....I really like the look of these https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/August_Macke
Thanks John. I actually forgot about von Werefkin.

I always loved the magic of the group and their innovative ideas to take over their own art scene. They created a movement without relying on the gallery system. As a younger artist I tried to get others to do similar things with me and organize art shows in our homes and make little parties of it. I sold work to friends that way in the beginning.

I do like fully abstract paintings, but you know, it always depends. There's a lot of bad abstract art out there. I'm rather picky about it. I can always find aspects of most art that I can like and see potential in pretty much everything, but it's not all that often when my socks are knocked off. But my all-time favorite artists (a few of them) are strictly abstract artists and they move me completely. I've followed their careers through time, dead or alive.

I like Klee's more abstract, less representational works. Don't like his famous face one as much as his others, but a lot of his playful abstracts can be seen as somewhat representational. You're right. In recent years I didn't even realize how much his influence was having on my own work, like when I was putting little feet on some of my more abstract compositions. I looked back and said, WOW, that's so Klee. How did that happen?? Early influence I guess. It was subconscious though.

And, there I go babbling again. :ROFLMAO:

The first art poster I bought was Kandinsky's Homage to Fernand Leger that I saw at the George Pompidou Centre in Paris. I guess I was 21 at the time and the love affair with colour and abstraction began around that time. Some time later I came across Klee's 1914 Tunisian paintings (St Germain etc) and never looked back. I have a lot of trouble de-Klee-ifying my own work. To think that Klee and Kandinsky shared a house for 6 years -- and some of their most productive years too.

Anyway, on the matter of all-over painting, I'm totally into this. Its a bit of a waste of canvas to lead the eye to a focal point, no? ;-)
OMG! Me too! The very first poster, and I framed it. I saw a museum show at the Norton Simon in Pasadena of Kandinsky and Fernand Leger (I wonder if it was a traveling show???) and it was in the 1980s. I was 16 or so. I knew I wanted to paint seriously after that. And that led me to Paul Klee.

I will try to find the Kandinsky painting I had the poster of.

F19714P.jpg

That's so funny. Mine was actually this one ("Leger, an homage to Fernand Leger", 1930). Not sure where it is now, a million house moves later...

Screenshot 2023-03-21 at 12.46.55.png

Back