Off to a new start

Andy_in_Vienna

Dear friends,

I am re-painting a reference photo in oils on canvas with a grisaille underpainting I am doing in acrylics. the imprimature is an almost black tone but mixed solely from the primary colors because I try never to use black in portraits expect for the pupilla of the eye. the reference photo was taken in 2006 and it depicts my dear friend Patricia who lives in beautiful Tyrol and has now 4 boy children. I am building the unterpainting by cross-hatching which is quite a task to do ... if you are interested I will post the progress in this group and when it is done put it next to the painting I did in 2006 ..... as always any c&c very welcome!
keep your brushes wet, Andy

ps.: I am also sharing the reference photo

Attachments

• IMG_0122.jpg
    IMG_0122.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 102
  • patricia_ref.jpg
    patricia_ref.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 111
this is the outcome as of today before I start glazing again. I think that the shadows are overall too warm and the lights not bright enough and I need to adjust some of her facial features. also her hair still needs some rethinking and reworking .... we will see. I am glad though that people who know her recognize her ^^ .... when it is so hot as it is today in Austria nothing seems to work properly ...
keep your brushes wet!!!

Andy

It's an exceptional work, more and more beautiful, it reminds me of the brushstrokes of Snoball, yes, the subject is very recognisable even to the photo you showed

Very beautiful thus far :) It's a pleasure to see your progress and hear about your technique.
I am building the unterpainting by cross-hatching which is quite a task to do ...
How does cross-hatching in acrylic compare with cross-hatching in egg tempera or tempera grassa?

Very beautiful thus far :) It's a pleasure to see your progress and hear about your technique.

How does cross-hatching in acrylic compare with cross-hatching in egg tempera or tempera grassa?
Laika, very good question!!! For me, the advantages are that acrylics are ready-made in the tubes and easily soluble with water - and they dry in an instant. not so my egg tempera or tempera grassa! Since I produce them myself they need to be ready and at hand and - for the tempera grassa - they don't dry so fast and remain soluble to the next layer of paint. Also the thinning of acrylic paint is much easier - with water - than thinning with turpentine and water is for my tempera grassa ..... thank you for the question :)

I am not an acrylic paint user, apart from using them to do thick underpainting for oils. I was just wondering whether there is a problem with adhesion when acrylics are watered down. Should an acrylic medium be added to the water?

I am not an acrylic paint user, apart from using them to do thick underpainting for oils. I was just wondering whether there is a problem with adhesion when acrylics are watered down. Should an acrylic medium be added to the water?
there are mediums for acrylics but I don't know any artists who use them, like me, they use water. there is also a "retarder" to slow the drying process but I never tried it. it might be handy when it comes to glazing but I never glaze when painting acrylics ....

Back