Shiga's

Bongo

Shiga's is a community garden patch on the North end of the "Ave"(University Avenue).
best angle I could get:
20231127_134838_copy_800x600.jpg

Right next to Henry Art (and record shop). Not to be confused with the other Henry Art gallery on the South end of the Ave.
henry.jpg
h small.jpg

the Sketch
20231127_140145_copy_800x600.jpg
I
I'm in front of a Persian cafe with some outdoor seating. So right at Lunch time there was a half dozen Persian guys sitting out there smoking cigarettes - thinking I'm painting them -- until one of them came up and checked out my painting -- which he really liked. Nice people actually.

As I'm concentrating on painting a voice behind me shouts "I Love you". I don't look up, thinking he must have meant to say "I love it", so I shout back equally loud "Thank you"... and then when I turn I see he's talking on his phone, not to me. I was kind of embarrassed actually.

Covering the panel
20231127_145240_copy_600x800.jpg

The AVE is in the University district and there was a number of students (almost all on cell phones) walking by me, not one looked or said anything. Which goes to a point I've made before - we think we're the main attraction, the center of the universe - but they have better things to do than to stop and watch paint dry - and then (they think) probably get pitched some scam or con job.
This is the kind of gauntlet they run every day -- and this is super chill by comparison..
gauntlet.jpg

"Shiga's" oil on 16"x20" panel
Shiga's.jpg

comments welcomed

I’m amazed at how you blocked out the sensory overload and made such a peaceful feeling painting, Bongo. The warm sky is beautiful! Thanks for sharing another urban adventure with us; I feel sorry for the youth who miss out on real, live art being made.

I definitely agree with Donna. You have a knack for taking a very busy cityscape and making it into a lovely painting. ❤️

This is beautiful, from the wonderful sky to the understated buildings, to the lush enclosed garden with it's welcoming archway.

I agree with Donna and Sno - part of your artistic genius is your ability to "see" a scene out of an otherwise hopelessly crowded and busy scene, and give us these beautiful city views. It's just wonderful! :)

Donna,Sno,Zen,Wane, Ntl - thank you very much.
I rather be in an environment where there is too much than too little.
The guys that go out in the country and there's one tree, a patch of grass, and a trail leading to a molehill - and they make a good painting out of it! That to me is hard.

"Honey I love you but give me Park Avenue" - Green Acres

I saw this garden "oasis" with this "monolith" in the background and golden light streaming thru slats in the fence
20231127_124837_copy_800x600.jpg

Where I took this photo I could literally lean over and touch the fence. My butt was up against the hood of a parked car. There is no way I could set up an easel there. I'd be blocking the whole sidewalk, and looking over the fence to paint. So that is one difference between working from photos and working from life that's not often mentioned -- access.

On the flip side, working from this photo, you would not see how that building in the background completely lords over the garden in an ominous, yet strangely protective way.

Last edited:
Donna,Sno,Zen,Wane, Ntl - thank you very much.
I rather be in an environment where there is too much than too little.
The guys that go out in the country and there's one tree, a patch of grass, and a trail leading to a molehill - and they make a good painting out of it! That to me is hard.

"Honey I love you but give me Park Avenue" - Green Acres

I saw this garden "oasis" with this "monolith" in the background and golden light streaming thru slats in the fence
View attachment 36830

Where I took this photo I could literally lean over and touch the fence. My butt was up against the hood of a parked car. There is no way I could set up an easel there. I'd be blocking the whole sidewalk, and looking over the fence to paint. So that is one difference between working from photos and working from life that's not often mentioned -- access.
I agree with Donna and Sno - part of your artistic genius is your ability to "see" a scene out of an otherwise hopelessly crowded and busy scene, and give us these beautiful city views. It's just wonderful! :)
Thanks Mo, Terri - part of my "genius" comes from my limited skill set, I leave out the stuff that's hard to paint.

Yeah, how you do dat??? You see past the crap and the clutter and make beauty. Another great one with new colors. Love it! The purples in that building are superb.

Back