Seasonal farm landscape

gbritnell

I live in Ohio, U.S.A. It's currently winter here so I thought I would create a winter piece. My medium of choice is colored pencils and I usually work from one of my own photo references. This time I thought I would create something from my memory. I made several sketches to come up with the desired composition and lighting and laid in some colors as a template for the finished work. I normally work on Stonehenge but thought I would try Strathmore colored pencil paper. The drawing is small compared to what I usually do, 7-1/2 x 11 inches. (190.5 x 279.5 mm.) It's done with Prismacolor pencils. I found that the Strathmore doesn't have the tooth of the Stonehenge but will still accept quite a few layers.
After completing the winter scene I decided to take the original sketch and redo it as an early summer theme adding summery elements to it. This one was done on Stonehenge.

Attachments

• WINTER FARM.jpg
    WINTER FARM.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 27
  • SUMMER FARM PS .jpg
    SUMMER FARM PS .jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 27
These are beautiful! You did such nice work on both seasons. It’s good to try different papers in case you find something that works better for you.

I also live in a place that has seasons, Wisconsin, and these pieces do a nice job of showing the allure of painting the same location under different effects.

If you could do a summer and fall version at some point. Would look fantastic on the wall as a set.

Excellent works. And your signature is nice too! :) I wish my sig looked that nice.

These are so nice. Very seasonal and well done. For me, colored pencil requires much patience. Applause.

Two lovely works here, I enjoyed looking between them to see the differences. I love the composition. I really like the sky in the winter one.

Great work - two beautiful drawings showing off your skills with those Prismacolors! I've tried using Strathmore papers but, like you, found a lack of tooth that keeps it from being a go-to paper.

Wonderful scenes, beautiful compositions!

Both are excellent. I am impressed with these. They both have a certain style that speaks to me. ♥️

Back