Scavenger Hunt from Life #52: Jan 02 - 10, 2023

Joan -- I wasn't going to pester you with a question, but since Robin asked about the grays, I was wondering when you make a direct watercolor like this do you work from lights to darks as you add paint? I made my first 2 "direct watercolor" yesterday and my wife's comment was "that's like something I would do" ( she thinks her kindergarten students draw better than she does... ) :)

Robin, thanks. Cute and soft-looking turtle. Your vase looks great and. love the sketch of the colorful palette.

2 - red - watercolors and ink

IMG_1559.jpeg

3 - blue building - watercolors and ink
4 - windows with corners

IMG_1561 (1).jpeg

Nice coffee pot, AI.
Adorable turtle and colourful vase. Robin
Superb town scene and red converse Joan

#1 round and #2 bottle – calligraphy pen in A4 sketchbook.
1.jpg

Sylwia, thanks! Love your ink sketch of the bottle, pot, and canister. Is that sepia ink?

Love all the sketches... you all ... but I have to come in later for individual comments.

Let's keep on making our little arts...

Robin, I'm sorry I neglected to answer you question about my grays. Usually I mix up a bit of whatever colors are puddled on my palette. More often than not it is ultramarine with sepia or another brown.

Ned, my direct watercolors are mostly done from light to dark, pretty much like I would if I had sketched out the scene. Although I did add the background lighter trees after the big tree was already nearly finished.

We had rainy weather again today but I headed out to find a boat to sketch from my car (windshield wipers on and off).

5 - boat - watercolors and ink
6 - round pilings at the dock

IMG_1566.jpeg

#6 blue ... I went to a research meeting at a big hospital by Chaophraya river ..after meeting, I had lunch at their canteen overlooking the river..and I spot this parked boat near by ...done in directwatercolor...about 20 min.

20230105_125312.jpg

20230105_125217.jpg

It’s late but after a day of banking , cleaning and accounting I just had to draw something....I do really like to draw dishes....anyway notice my New Years resolution? To do backgrounds and try to fill the page....so the day feels complete after any little drawing.....sigh..
030BB569-B148-4903-8D12-3D9826503411.jpeg
6 round

Thank you for your kind words.

SylviaW: Lovely bottle and round in ink.

Joan: Beautiful boat

Robin: Fun little gems on the cool background... love your sketch of the kitchen troops

Last edited:
I'm using my hotspot on my phone to connect to my iMac so I can type here. Life is complicated. Ha.

Ai, mmmm, I like the red snapper. Sounds delicious and looks great. The English garden statue is amazing. I'd never seen a mocha pot. Lovely lines.

joe1lt, the old stuff, angels are wonderful.

Joan, the bigger than me is full of texture and action with the sprinkles. Nice work. Awww, the red tennis shoes are fabulous. I like your blue building and all the corners and windows. Wow.

Robin, the turtle looks soft. I like your vase holder and your paints. Fun.

Ned, I have no confidence for the direct watercolor. Hope you have fun with it.

Sylwia, great calighraphy pen work on the bottle and pots. Descriptive hatching.

I sketched in the Ohuhu mix media sketchbook with the Blick gray markers and a Zig Millennium 05. Second try.
Number 1, vehicle - the garage door opener guy's pickup, all black, very snazzy. I think it is a bit longer in the back. Paper is white, sun was gone for the photo. My scanner isn't working without wi-fi and doesn't hard wire.

IMG_0621.JPG

Joan, I like your boat and dock. Odd sign. Guess you can load and unload people. Ha.

Ai, your blue boat is very nice. I like the background to give us a look around.

Robin, I like your dishes on the counter. Giving us a peek into your kitchen. Nice.

Sylwia, the scratchy pen gives the bottles an antique look. Cool.....

We have the company coming to check the heater/air conditioner today. Then we will be done with repairs except for the Starlink internet. They have to send new equipment so could be a month away. Sigh. We were on the waiting list for over a year to get it in the first place. I hope to sketch at some point.

Joan -- thanks! I tried again yesterday... I think I'm going to try with a single color for a while. I have a lot to learn.

Ai, you certainly find opportunities to sketch. Nice job on the boat on the river!

Robin, I always like to see sketches of a collection of things like dishes in a drainboard. I like the background you added too. Nicely done!

Sylwia, I like drawings done in brown ink. This is really nice of what looks like a lotion bottle and a cork. Love the hatching!

Jo, thanks so much. I never have fun things for our sketching themes. Luckily other people bring in things to share too. Good use of the gray markers for the truck. Isn't it nice to find new things to sketch? I can't believe it is such a long wait for the Starlink Internet!!!

I went out with friends (non-artists) for a long lunch today so I didn't get to sketch until this evening. It was fun to do the challenge and put a few things into a still life.

7 - bottle - watercolors
8 - bowl
9 - fruit
10 - vegetable (baby bok choy
11 - yellow lemon

IMG_1570.jpeg

Thanks all for your kind words.

Sylwia --Lovely brown lines, all are great... but my heart goes to the tiny cat

Joan: Wonderful stilllife of fruit and vegie and blue bottle.

Jo: Super marker sketch of the truck ... exquisite @!!!

I went out to another part of old district of Bangkok, near the flower market, where this cafe is located upstair of a florist shop ... done in direct watercolor...The scene is quite challenge for me in how to paint light... I tried. This took me about 1.5 hour...on 7x8 inch piece of loose wc paper

#7 red
#8 flowers

H52-Cafe-a.jpg

H52-Cafe-b.jpg

Sylwia, love the cat tucked in by the plant!

Ai, thanks so much. Great capture of the color and lights in the cafe! Nicely done!!

12 - vehicle - brush pen

IMG_1576.jpeg

13 - green roof and plant - watercolors and ink

IMG_1574.jpeg

Thanks, everyone.

Joan, your still life is great. Gives me an idea. I have lemons and limes from the holiday margaritas Ha. Love the angle and lines on the pickup. The green roof sketch is fun with lots of texture.

Sylwia, I like your pots and cat. Well done.

Ai, great job on your light. Hard to do , especially in watercolor. Wow!

Back