Scavenger Hunt from Life #39: Sep 20 - Sep 28

Jo Castillo

Supporting Member
Welcome to the Scavenger Hunts from Life.
The Hunts were started in 2006 by Jamie Williams Grossman as a way to practice with prompts. Artists have come and gone while forming some lasting friendships. We hope you will join in and tune up your sketching skills. All levels and techniques are welcome. We hope you can have some good times here. You can travel the world seeing the sketches of items at hand by the artists.

If you've participated in at least one Scavenger Hunt and have time to host one we would really appreciate it. You can sign up by posting your name on the current hosting schedule in the Art From Life forum here:
https://creativespark.art/threads/scavenger-hunt-from-life-host-sign-up-list.2481/

Here are the rules for the Hunt:
* All everyday common items on the list must be sketched from life - not imagination or photo reference.
* Each object you draw can count for only one item on the listless, no matter how many shapes / parts / colors that object contains. This was agreed on by unanimous vote among the participants.
* You may place multiple objects together in a drawing or painting, and may count these objects as separate items, but no single object can count for more than one item.
* All items posted must be numbered. Count them as you go. The first item you post will be # 1 regardless of its place on the list. Do them in whatever order you wish, but count them in the order in which you sketch them, from 1 to 26.
* Do as many or as few of the items as you like. You don't have to finish the entire list to participate. The Scavenger Hunt “week” will last for 9 days, with the next hunt starting on the 9th day.
* Please tell us your size, surface, medium, and the amount of time it took you for each sketch. We love hearing about your subjects and setups. Photos of your subjects are welcome.
* Have fun!
*** If you have some hunt sketches completed but little time to read / comment, please post your sketches anyway. Commenting is appreciated but not required

Scavenger Hunt #39 Sep 20-28
path
paint brush
potato
pear
pillow
shoe
silver
sweet
special
stacked
colorful
chair
cup
cactus
candy
sketchbook
skyline
simple
steps
storefront
blue
bag
box
building
bus
animal

Feel free to substitute: any vegetable instead of a potato or a ladder instead of steps, etc. Have fun.

Jo: Thanks for the list.

We took the girls to the dentist today ...

#1 special ... of course... it is our special day to see several giant teeth around.

h39_tooth_a.jpg

h39_tooth_b.jpg

Last edited:
Great new list, Jo!

Ai: ha! A trip to the dentist is a great way to get a great big tooth sketch - nice work!

Jo - Thanks for the list.

EP - Definitely a cool speciaL! Am appreciating your hatching more as I am learning ink.

#1 sketchbook pocket size sketchbook draw with micron pens in 8.5x5.5 in sketchbook. Starting the next section in the cours…Ink! So trying to use Hunt to practice.

174C17FB-39F3-49CB-BD25-894C063E7168.jpeg

Keep sketching
Joe

Ai, great tooth. I had a couple of teeth extracted today and they felt that big after. Ha.

Joe, I like the sketchbook and your 0style of hatching. Cool..

Had some teeth out and implants in today. hard to decide to spend that much money at my age. oh well, can’t take it with me..

should be able to sketch tomorrow.

Joe: Thanks. Cool sketchbooks...love the line style

Jo: Thanks... I feel for you... Some western people travel to Thailand for medical tourism and get some procedure done nicely and cheaply like dental work ... My friend flew in from Finland to do so...

#2 stacked...

h39_stacked.jpg

h39_stacked_b.jpg

Jo, thanks for the new list. Sorry to hear you had some uncomfortable dental work. We could have sketched it. lol Hope you are feeling better.

Ai, those special teeth made me laugh. Great idea for stacked! The laundry room is perfect for that.

Joe, glad to see such a strong ink drawing of the sketchbook. Nice!!

1 - steps on a fire escape - watercolors

IMG_0861.jpeg

2 - skyline - watercolors

IMG_0872.jpeg

3 - stacked storage bins - watercolors and ink
4 - building
IMG_0886.jpeg

Terri, Jo, EP: Thank you

Joan: Thanks... I'm glad my giant tooth sketch brings you smile. Wowza, you did so many gorgeous sketches: Love those steps, skyline, and the market scene with stacks of veggie. Fantastic way you did the black chalk board. :love:

Last edited:
Ai, wow, the dryers are stacked. Nice sketch with the doors partly ajar.

Joan, you found some great steps to sketch. And a flag makes it special for me. Should know your skyline would be at the beach. Mmmm and veggies and plants at the building sketch.

Happy sketching.

These are all so nice, from the giant teeth (I have 3 appointments coming up :( ) the wonderful sketchbook, good idea--the stacked dryers. and the building, steps, the market place. I love the shore/sky piece.

my offering, a brush pen. I used watercolor pencils, water soluble graphite, and a sketch and wash pencil (That's a watersoluble, soft, black graphite pencil too. Plus water in a second water brush pen.

thumbnail_IMG_6810.jpg

ntl, (dental apts for you, too. Oops, not good. Mine went very well. Thinking of you.) I like your waterbrush.

I sketched at Gene's physical therapy today. His last one for a while. In the Ohuhu sketchbook with a Micron 03.
Number 2, shoe - several of the people waiting.
Number 3, stacked - substitute magazines in a rack

csshfl39shoe-stacked.jpg

#3 sweet ... a banana layered cake topped with almond pieces ... done in directwatercolor...I did this at our local cafe, named Nami.

h39_cake_a.jpg

h39_cake_b.jpg

Ai, thank you. That cake looks so delicious...and I don't even like bananas. Your food sketches are always so good. I rarely sketch my food. It is usually gone before I think about it.

Jo, thanks. We were at the farm stand in the evening and they had all these people coming in to pick up their farm shares for the week. Good captures of the shoes in the waiting room. I like the sketch of the magazines in the rack.

Jo - Thanks. Cover has a texture and was only way I could think of to resemble the texture. Now trying to build confidence to draw direct in ink. So all here are pencil outlines first. Cool assortment of shoes.

Ai -Thanks. Sorry about crediting EP for you tooth. Was hurrying and didn’t read. Looked like her style. Nice work on the dryers. Cake looks yummy in photo and in the painting

Joan - looking close at your combo of pen and watercolor in both pieces. That is next step in the course. Why are lighthouses so fascinating? Nice job.

Ntl - like how you combined mediums

2 paint brush - #10 watercolor brush in the pocket sketchbook I drew yesterday using microns.

66ECF463-052F-4C75-8C81-DE7D599A4230.jpeg

Keep sketching
Joe

Thank you all for your kind comments.

Jo: Wonderful set of feet with variety of shoes, and the stacked of TV remotes

Joe: Cool lines in both the sketchbook and the paint brush.

Ntl: Beautiful waterbrush. I really miss seeing your sketches.

Hi everyone, I'll post sketches first and then return with comments on sketches posted thus far.

Here are some sketches - graphite - printer paper.

1. (poor quality) paint brush
2. shoe
3. silver - handles on binder clip
4. stacked - boxes of printer toners - poorly drawn oh my
5. chair
6. cup
7. blue - highlighter
8. bag
9. box - of teabags

hunt39-01.jpg

Cheers,

Joe - lovely scribbles and marks denoting the darkness/gradient :) Oh such a great job on the paintbrush. Much better than my (poor quality) sketch of a (poor quality) paintbrush
Ai - Oooh look at those laundromat laundry machines! Mmmm wonderful cake sketch (and bonus photo!)
Joan - lovely work on the Sono Switch Tower Museum building with the fire escape stairs. Love the rich darks in that outdoor market stall
ntl - good water brush. Which way do the threads go? I ask because I have one waterbrush (from Japan?) which has the threads running the other direction (instead of Righty-Tighty it is Lefty-Tighty!) Is Atkins 72 a dietary project?
Jo - ooh check out all the footwear

Back