Scavenger Hunt from Life #29 -June 23 - July 1

jmfletch

Welcome to the Scavenger Hunts from Life.
The Hunts were started in 2006 by Jamie Williams Grossman as a way to practice with prompts. Artists have come and gone while forming some lasting friendships. We hope you will join in and tune up your sketching skills. All levels and techniques are welcome. We hope you can have some good times here. You can travel the world seeing the sketches of items at hand by the artists.

If you’ve participated in at least one Scavenger Hunt and have time to host one we would really appreciate it. You can sign up by posting your name on the current hosting schedule in the Art From Life forum here:
https://creativespark.art/threads/scavenger-hunt-from-life-host-sign-up-list.2481/

Here are the rules for the Hunt:
*All everyday common items on the list must be sketched from life – not imagination or photo reference.
*Each object you draw can count for only one item on the listless, no matter how many shapes/parts/colors that object contains. This was agreed on by unanimous vote among the participants.
*You may place multiple objects together in a drawing or painting, and may count these objects as separate items, but no single object can count for more than one item.
*All items posted must be numbered. Count them as you go. The first item you post will be #1 regardless of its place on the list. Do them in whatever order you wish, but count them in the order in which you sketch them, from 1 to 26.
*Do as many or as few of the items as you like. You don’t have to finish the entire list to participate. The Scavenger Hunt “week” will last for 9 days, with the next hunt starting on the 9th day.
*Please tell us your size, surface, medium, and the amount of time it took you for each sketch. We love hearing about your subjects and setups. Photos of your subjects are welcome.
*Have fun!
*** If you have some hunt sketches completed but little time to read/comment, please post your sketches anyway. Commenting is appreciated but not required

Something old
Something new
Something borrowed
Something blue
Something wedding related ( ring? Invitation? Bridal gift?)
Something yellow
Something red
Something weather related
Something wooden
Something ceramic
Something glass
Something plastic
Something metal
Something carved or otherwise hand made
Something summery or seasonal for those below equator
Something you collect (other than art supplies 😎)
Something that relaxes you
Something with feathers
Something bigger than a bread box (or a microwave if too young to remember bread boxes.)
Something you always carry in your purse or pocket
Something you treasure (could be someone too)
Something heavy
Something light
Something natural
Something artificial
A mug you have never drawn before to add to Jo’s collection. (Extra points if it is blue.)

Challenge: Use 3 or more hunt items in a composition. (Remembering Jeanne occasionally making a composition with all 26 items! )

Keep sketching
Joe

Welcome to the Scavenger Hunts from Life.
The Hunts were started in 2006 by Jamie Williams Grossman as a way to practice with prompts. Artists have come and gone while forming some lasting friendships. We hope you will join in and tune up your sketching skills. All levels and techniques are welcome. We hope you can have some good times here. You can travel the world seeing the sketches of items at hand by the artists.

If you’ve participated in at least one Scavenger Hunt and have time to host one we would really appreciate it. You can sign up by posting your name on the current hosting schedule in the Art From Life forum here:
https://creativespark.art/threads/scavenger-hunt-from-life-host-sign-up-list.2481/

Here are the rules for the Hunt:
*All everyday common items on the list must be sketched from life – not imagination or photo reference.
*Each object you draw can count for only one item on the listless, no matter how many shapes/parts/colors that object contains. This was agreed on by unanimous vote among the participants.
*You may place multiple objects together in a drawing or painting, and may count these objects as separate items, but no single object can count for more than one item.
*All items posted must be numbered. Count them as you go. The first item you post will be #1 regardless of its place on the list. Do them in whatever order you wish, but count them in the order in which you sketch them, from 1 to 26.
*Do as many or as few of the items as you like. You don’t have to finish the entire list to participate. The Scavenger Hunt “week” will last for 9 days, with the next hunt starting on the 9th day.
*Please tell us your size, surface, medium, and the amount of time it took you for each sketch. We love hearing about your subjects and setups. Photos of your subjects are welcome.
*Have fun!
*** If you have some hunt sketches completed but little time to read/comment, please post your sketches anyway. Commenting is appreciated but not required

Something old
Something new
Something borrowed
Something blue
Something wedding related ( ring? Invitation? Bridal gift?)
Something yellow
Something red
Something weather related
Something wooden
Something ceramic
Something glass
Something plastic
Something metal
Something carved or otherwise hand made
Something summery or seasonal for those below equator
Something you collect (other than art supplies 😎)
Something that relaxes you
Something with feathers
Something bigger than a bread box (or a microwave if too young to remember bread boxes.)
Something you always carry in your purse or pocket
Something you treasure (could be someone too)
Something heavy
Something light
Something natural
Something artificial
A mug you have never drawn before to add to Jo’s collection. (Extra points if it is blue.)

Challenge: Use 3 or more hunt items in a composition. (Remembering Jeanne occasionally making a composition with all 26 items! )

Keep sketching
Joe
Great list. Thanks. Will try for a challenge this time

Joe, I was looking to see what I could sketch in Austin today. I see you put the dreaded "yellow" on the list. Which is worse? Yellow or triangle for me. Ha.

I sketched on the porch as you might suspect before we went to town. In the Canson Watercolor Sketchbook, 9 x 12 inches, with waterbrushes , direct, inspired by Joan and Ai.
Number 1, something natural
csshfl29natural.jpg

Nicely done and boldly as well. I still marvel at people like yourself drawing directly in ink. I use erasers as much or even more than pencils. My quick sketch of hands in last hunt show lack of line quality when I limit erasing so Props on adding direct watercolor to your skill set.

Joe

Jo: Great wonderful start of this Hunt. Thanks for mention me and Joan on wc directly, we all inspire each other to try new things :giggle: .

Joe: Hello...

#1 Something summery -- a Thai style bamboo+thatch roof cabana at our local cafe ... done in directwatercolor... about 40 minutes ... I must have felt so relax after taking care of our girls for the whole week and the past two days, Tone has been back to see his mother in Atlanta. I was at this garden cafe with my two girls... during our Friday evening after school.

h29_p1b.jpg

h29_p1a.jpg

Ai - beautiful painting. All I can think of is how relaxing it would be to be in that hammock.

Joe

Ai, thanks for sharing your photo, too. Looks like a very relaxing and like Joe said, especially the hammock. Well done.

Thanks to both of you.

I played in the pastels today. Probably about 1.5 hours. I spent another 30 minutes putting away pastels in my "used" tray and wiping off the paper before I started. I wiped off the tree from the other day that I did out the window. A variety of pastel brands and softness. Cup with star should be taller and lines could be straighter, but it is a sketch after all. Ha. The big cup on the left with Gene on it is rarely used. It is just to big for a drink. A friend made one for me and one for Gene, they sit on my counter!

Number 2, blue
Number 3, red
Number 4, a cup I hadn't drawn before (the big one) and it is partly blue for the challenge

csshfl29mug-blue.jpg

Hi art budies, I didn’t get a chance to post yesterday and would like to thank everyone who participated in the hunt....the more the merrier.....I really enjoy your art.

Joe fl- thanks for hosting, fun list

jo C and Ai ——- thanks for the ”direct” envy. :>)

Jennie Jo and EP- hi, glad you are along

YAY!!! Another day to sketch.....

Fun new list, Joe - thank you!

Jo - beautiful watercolor from your porch! Such intense greens! Loving your stacked mugs, too - your touches of white are spot on. Who knows, there may come a day when you need a lot of caffeine in those big mugs!

Ai - terrific looking thatched roof on this cabana. Looks like a relaxing place to be! Beautiful job with the direct WC, especially getting finished in 40 minutes - impressive!

Off to another great start for this Hunt, I see. ;)

Joe, thanks so much for the new list. Hope to get something done. Been busy with other art stuff...but that's no excuse. :) Good thing Jo had a reminder on her blog or I would probably take another day before I got the list. lol

Jo, nice work on the direct watercolor landscape. Glad you gave it a go. I like the towers of mugs. Those big ones do look like hand-made pieces...nice to have.

Ai, you made that cabana look so great! I think it would be a great place to sit and sketch...or eat. Glad that Tone could get back to see his mom. Too bad you all couldn't go, but I'm sure the ticket prices are so high now...and I know your schedules are full right now.

Hi Robin & Terri!

Jo, already drooled over your use of light and shadow. Supposed ‘flaws’ are non existent to a viewer. We have no idea about actual cup sizes and have seen enough hand made mugs that not quite perfect straight lines are nit Show stoppers,

EP, JennieJo, Robin, Terri, Joan - hoping to see your creations soon.

Joe

Thank you all for your kind: Jo, Joe, Terri, Robin, EP, and Joan.

Jo: Wow... what a set of glorious mugs... love your pastel magic sparkles...

This morning I dashed out for a few hours at a nearby local cafe along Bangmod canal... so I did a few of our local flora... done in directwatercolor.

#2 relaxed me -- a hanging flower pot
#3 natural -- a specimen of Barringtonia acutangula -- bloomed flower, hanging budding flowers, and a fruit

h29_makeMeHappy.jpg

Back